1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SD size for rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MolBasser, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MolBasser

MolBasser Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Research Analyst, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
    Chico, CA
    All,

Several websites have sort of confused me, and I didn't find it on search. So, please accept some noob questions. :)

1. I only have the stock 2GB SD memory card (lame I know, but I haven't filled it yet which is usually my signal to buy a bigger card. Yes, I know they are cheap). Some sites say that you need a card bigger than 2GB. True? And why is this (nandroid backup space?) Simply attaining SU shouldn't take this much memory right?

2. Some sites say that you have to remove PdaNET from your computer before you attempt root, others, no mention.

3. Some sites say you have to remove drivers before installing the pack that is downloaded for the unrevoked method, others say you can use the "update drivers" option (I'm winXPpro sp3)

Anyway, figure I'll root before the update and wait for native Dinc Gingerbread ROM mods to come out, and save root rather than lose root and get what verizon/htc give me.

Thanks for reading and TIA for responses.

MolBasser

Advertisement

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Stock card will be fine as long as you have space on it. I wouldn't worry about PDAnet unless you have a problem. HTC sync is the more likely offender. I don't know on the drivers. I just installed the ones that came with the reflash tool per the provided instructs and all went well. Just give it a go. If it fails, we can troubleshoot further.

3. MolBasser

MolBasser Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Research Analyst, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
    Chico, CA
    How much space? I'm about half full or so, maybe more.

MolBasser

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Idk, not sure they've ever said exactly how much space you need but it shouldn't be much for the rooting procedure. Nandroid backups take up space quickly but to get rooted, I think if you have 1G, you should have way more than enough. Just give it a shot, worst case it errors with a package fail error or similar. Even that wouldn't hurt anything, you could just clean some files off your current card or get another if you run into that.