1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips SDCard dislodging issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnlgalt, Nov 16, 2011.

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I ran into this thread at the Moto users forums - and had a light bulb moment.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/61867?tstart=0

The user had a screwed SDCard after plugging it into the desk dock.

LIGHT BULB!!! Of course the SDCard can get dislodged when putting the phone in the dock - b/c the downward motion of the phone being inserted into the dock is the same downward motion (when turned sideways) that you use to remove he SDCard in the first place.

I note that in my reply in the thread, and then I outlined how I had freaked out hard core for 20 minutes one day when I thought my SDCard was dead - until I remembered to look at it physically to reseat it and saw it was simply dislodged.

So, I used some foam to make a little 'shim' to brace the car in the slot.

Pics:

P1020391.JPG

P1020392_2.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the battery cover, but if you look at it you'll see the little notch that is supposed to hold that SDCard in place - and how it is woefully inadequate.

This might be the first true across the board design flaw. I really don't see a difference between the extended battery cover and the stock one - both notches seem just a hair too short to actually keep the SDCard in place.

Makes me wonder if there is something similar going on with the SIM Cards as well?

Advertisement

jruther2 and WA_Bob like this.
  2. jlrsn

jlrsn Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Retired
    8,000' Up IN The Rockies
    I also thought that my 32gb card was dead yesterday as all my dependent data had disappeared but everything was fine when I removed and reseated it. The dealer had inserted it when I bought the phone 10 days ago and I guess it wasn't fully seated!
    Jim

3. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    Interesting. Thanks for the PSA as this isn't something I'd have thought of right away.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Trust me, I have a lot of data on that card from my MotoDROID - videos, pics, and app data and documents from my last year of classes in my master's program - and I freaked hard. Imagine turning on your computer and all of a sudden all your documents, pics, etc. were gone on your computer....

With my DROID I kept my school files synced between my computer and my phone - well, my computer HDs crashed hard about 3 months ago, so this was the only repository that I had (a situation I've since remedied) for all those files. And when my BIONIC all of a sudden said there were no files on the SDCard, I freaked. Hard.

Even though it only took me ~20 minutes to figure it out, that was a very terrifying 20 minutes of my life - I must have rebooted the device 6 times, trying to figure out what the heck had happened....