1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SDCard shows 4GB, but should be 16GB.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by richcb7, Apr 15, 2012.

1. richcb7

richcb7 Newbie

Does anyone know what is going on here?

I installed a 16GB SDCard into my LG Esteem and when I look at Settings App it shows a 16GB SDCard and a 4GB Sim card.

However, when other applications show they SDCard the report that there is only 4GB available.

For example: The Astro File Manager appears to have two folders. One called "SDCard", which is 4GB in size and "_ExternalSD" (hidden), which is 16GB in size.

Does anyone know what is going on here? When programs are saved to SDCard are they going to the 4GB SIM card or 16GB SDCard or is the 16GB SDCard only showing 4GB of available storage?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon

If you look at this pic below the sd card is the internal sd for the phone. The external is labeled ext sd. Tap on as card and you will see the external sd. You can long press on each and it will show space used and available space. The sim card is for data btw:D
    [​IMG]

3. HereticSins

HereticSins Android Expert

Apps get saved in the phones internal memory. Unless you change that.
    If you go to settings>SD card and phone storage, the first total space is your external SD card storage. The middle one is your app storage. The bottom one is your internal SD card storage.

4. richcb7

richcb7 Newbie

I am pretty sure now that the SD Card identified in the system is NOT the external 16GB storage that I installed.

Looking at the file structure the _ExternalSD reported 16GB but when I attempted to use the application manager to the SD Card it DID NOT get moved to the _ExternalSD folder.

Using Astro I changed the default location of the SDCard to _ExternalSD, then used the application manager to move another program to the SDCard. Even now it is NOT using the _ExternalSD of 16GB.

Something screwy is going on here.

I purchased the 16GB card specifically to be used as storage for data and programs, but the only thing out there is what I have manually moved there, some audio files.

On my previous phone I had an 8GB SD card and told the system to use that for programs and data. It did it without question. This phone I tell it to use the 16GB and it does nothing.

How does one get this phone to use the 16GB storage card?

:thinking:

5. horsecharles

horsecharles Android Expert

No, don't do that. That is the way the directory structure works.../sdcard is internal, /sdcard/ExternalSd is the external...u always browse into external thru the internal

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

6. Capone908

Capone908 Lurker

Same problem. Ex sd card is useless. Cant move nothing to ex card. I dont know why.

7. richcb7

richcb7 Newbie

I have read a couple of posts on other forums that Android in general does not have direct move functions to the external SD. I find that hard to believe. However, I have MANUALLY moved a few apps over to the external SD card and the system did find and access those program. Had to plug in using the USB to the PC and use windows to do that. Guess I haven't figured out how to move things internally using Android, it's just easier.

8. Capone908

Capone908 Lurker

Someone told me i have to format the sd card to fat32

9. gbiggie

Usually format it here when its brand new/not used.
    Could copy what you have on it to a CPU then format it then.
    Hopefully resolves your issue.:)

10. richcb7

richcb7 Newbie

Yeah, but has anyone done this and it worked?
    My 16GB SD card has data but I am not against formatting it if the Phone would start saving downloads to that card. I can always reinstall what was previously there.

Any brave soul want to test this?

11. gbiggie

It's worth a try-especially since you can backup all your data to the CPU.
    At least that way you will know if the card is bad or not.
    I would test it out but I have never had the issue you are having.:)

12. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert

fat 32 is the normal format for such storage devices like usb flash drives which i believe is the format the phone uses but the phone also can format it for u so theres no need to do it on another device such as a computer in order to format it.

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews