• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sdcard stopped working after recent upgrade to 2.3

pelletman

Jul 3, 2010
I updated to Gingerbread a couple days ago, and it seems to have either boned my sd card or has some other issue. I don't have a card reader at my house. It does not see the card on usb. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Anyone know how to fix it? I have reseated the card. I can't use camera or any app that is on the card. Thanks! Dave

I updated to Gingerbread a couple days ago, and it seems to have either boned my sd card or has some other issue. I don't have a card reader at my house. It does not see the card on usb. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Anyone know how to fix it? I have reseated the card. I can't use camera or any app that is on the card. Thanks! Dave

Are you rooted?

FYI, there are a couple other Gingerbread update threads, check those to see if anyone mentioned your specific issue.

Upvote 0
Gingerbread uses the EXT4 file system rather than YAFFS which is what all previous versions of Android uses. What you can try is to go menu>settings>storage and see if the card is listed. If it is not, try rebooting the phone with the card in it.

What you will have to do is find a card reader and copy ALL the files (including hidden files) into a backup folder. Then put the sd card back into your phone and reformat it there. Then copy the original files back to the card and reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
The card is not listed under menu settings storage. If I reboot to try to mount the card would it erase data? There are some pictures I shouldn't lose. Thanks

Rebooting won't erase any data. My guess is the card wasn't cleanly unmounted. Assuming the card wasn't somehow corrupted during the update, rebooting may get the card to remount properly. However, get yourself a card reader anyway, especially if you have important photos that need to be backed up.

Upvote 0
I have rebooted as well as done a few battery pulls. The message I get is simply "Please insert an SD card." I get the message when attempting to access any media, as well as some apps (but not all) such as HBOGo. When I plug the phone into the computer via USB, mounting as a disk drive is not a connection type option. I can select from Charge Only, HTC Sync, and USB Tethering only.

Upvote 0
Since you have the ability to read the card with your desktop, do the following:

make a folder on your desktop and call it 'sdcard backup' or something. Then, select everything on the sdcard and copy it to that folder. Now you have a backup of your sdcard.

Now, use your desktop and format the card. Make sure you format it as FAT32. Once done, put the card back in your phone and see if it finds it.

Reactions: sallensf
Upvote 0

I am having the similar problem with my SD card. I upgraded last weekend as well and now have SD card issues. I have searched the forum and your post is the most similar to my issue. I went to the SPrint Store last night and sinc ethey are releasing the EVO 3D this weekend- showed them the isssues below and they said there is a problem with Gingerbread upgrade and SD cards and they need to revert back to Froyo- I made an appointment for Monday to do this.

Summary of issues:
When I click on my camera, to view/see photos, it says "An error was encountered with your SD Card" and I am unable to see my photos. It also happens when I open an email attachment. There is also a message saying: "insert SD card".
In Settings: Storage & SD card: it says the card is empty, yet in "manage card" there are Apps on it. I tried to connect my phone to my computer to copy the SD card onto my computer but the computer does not recognize the card- there is no card on the phone via connecting the computer.

I took the battery out, and restarted, & rebooted the phone- did not fix issue.

We transfered my files via a card reader to a "backup folder" on the computer as you advised above. After we transfered files we "checked for errors on the card" via " Properties: check for errors" and there were" errors on the card" that we fixed via the computer.

We went to "Format card" on the phone but the phone did not recognize the card, so now we formatted the card on the computer, put the card back to the phone and the phone then recognized the card. We loaded the card with files, and it worked!!
THANK YOU!! You saved me a trip to the Sprint store on Monday! My phone seems to be faster now too.

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with my SD card. I upgraded last weekend as well and then my ohone did not recognized my SD card. I went to the Sprint Store last night. I showed them the isssues below and they said there is a problem with Gingerbread upgrade and SD cards and they need to revert my phone to the previosu version from Gingerbread back to Froyo- I made an appointment for Monday to do this since they are releasing the EVO 3D this weekend.

Summary of issues:
When I clicked on my camera, to view/see photos, it says "An error was encountered with your SD Card" and I am unable to see my photos. It also happens when I open an email attachment. There is also a message saying: "insert SD card".
In Settings: Storage & SD card: it says the "SDcard is empty", yet in "manage card" there were Apps on it. I tried to connect my phone to my computer to copy the SD card onto my computer but the computer did not recognize the card- and there was no card on the phone via connecting the computer.

We transfered my files via a card reader to a "backup folder" on the computer. After we transfered files we "checked for errors on the card" via " Properties: check for errors" and there were" errors on the card" that we fixed via the computer.

We went to "Format card" on the phone but the phone did not recognize the card, so we formatted the card on the computer, put the card back to the phone and the phone then finally recognized the card. We loaded the card with files, and it worked. My phone seems to be faster now too. I hope this helps you as well. This process saved me from going into the Sprint store on Monday and having them mess with my phone.

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with my SD card. I upgraded last weekend as well and then my ohone did not recognized my SD card. I went to the Sprint Store last night. I showed them the isssues below and they said there is a problem with Gingerbread upgrade and SD cards and they need to revert my phone to the previosu version from Gingerbread back to Froyo- I made an appointment for Monday to do this since they are releasing the EVO 3D this weekend.

Summary of issues:
When I clicked on my camera, to view/see photos, it says "An error was encountered with your SD Card" and I am unable to see my photos. It also happens when I open an email attachment. There is also a message saying: "insert SD card".
In Settings: Storage & SD card: it says the "SDcard is empty", yet in "manage card" there were Apps on it. I tried to connect my phone to my computer to copy the SD card onto my computer but the computer did not recognize the card- and there was no card on the phone via connecting the computer.

We transfered my files via a card reader to a "backup folder" on the computer. After we transfered files we "checked for errors on the card" via " Properties: check for errors" and there were" errors on the card" that we fixed via the computer.

We went to "Format card" on the phone but the phone did not recognize the card, so we formatted the card on the computer, put the card back to the phone and the phone then finally recognized the card. We loaded the card with files, and it worked. My phone seems to be faster now too. I hope this helps you as well. This process saved me from going into the Sprint store on Monday and having them mess with my phone.

I did all that and still nothing, this all went wrong after updating to android 2.3.3, i backed all my apps onto my sd card before and now i cant get them back ... please any more ideas would help a great deal

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones