• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps SDK/AVD crashes on Ubuntu unless run as root

aaronlp

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
Hi all,
I've been developing Android Apps on Eclipse ADT for Windows with no issue. I have decided to set up my home PC which is running Ubuntu 14.04 as well.
In both the Eclipse ADT and Android Studio install I am unable to run the SDK or AVD Managers. They seem to load, the window appears for a split second and then goes away.

I've run the ./android sdk and ./android avd commands from within the sdk/tools directory within both the Eclipse ADT and Android Studio installation and they always yield the same result. It appears to be launching (just like when I run it from within the IDE) and then as it appears, this stacktrace is printed and the window goes away:

Code:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.
	at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:568)
	at java.util.Properties.load0(Properties.java:391)
	at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:341)
	at com.android.sdklib.internal.repository.sources.SdkSources.loadUserAddons(SdkSources.java:294)
	at com.android.sdklib.internal.repository.updater.UpdaterData.setupDefaultSources(UpdaterData.java:371)
	at com.android.sdkuilib.internal.repository.ui.AvdManagerWindowImpl1.setupSources(AvdManagerWindowImpl1.java:383)
	at com.android.sdkuilib.internal.repository.ui.AvdManagerWindowImpl1.postCreateContent(AvdManagerWindowImpl1.java:329)
	at com.android.sdkuilib.internal.repository.ui.AvdManagerWindowImpl1.open(AvdManagerWindowImpl1.java:141)
	at com.android.sdkuilib.repository.AvdManagerWindow.open(AvdManagerWindow.java:94)
	at com.android.sdkmanager.Main.showAvdManagerWindow(Main.java:437)
	at com.android.sdkmanager.Main.doAction(Main.java:379)
	at com.android.sdkmanager.Main.run(Main.java:150)
	at com.android.sdkmanager.Main.main(Main.java:116)

If I run them via sudo, they open up fine, but this is a bandaid, since I want to be able to launch them from within Android Studio and can't.

Hoping someone might know the cause of the problem.
Thanks
Aaron

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones