1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sealed Batteries?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by WA_Bob, Nov 27, 2011.

1. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    I was looking over the specs for the Droid 4 and I noted that it would have the same sealed battery that a Razr has. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't like the idea of not being able to do a battery pull or swap batteries out if I can't recharge at the time if I need to. I know the Nexus phones have always had sealed batteries, but do you think this is a trend we'll see more of?

If it is, I'm not one who is happy with it!

Advertisement

2. TooHip

TooHip Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I hope this isn't a trend. I find that having the ability to swap the battery is a must have with any smart phone. This is one of the primary reasons the RAZR is off my list as possible replacements for my current handset, and squarely out of the Apple camp.

Long live the battery door!

3. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    :thinking: AFAIK the RAZR it the only android phone to have a non-removable battery. None of the Nexus phone have ever been sealed.

4. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    A non removable battery is not an issue for me. I work with computers so I'm usually able to charge, plus I charge in the car.

5. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Male
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't like the idea of having a phone with a non-replacable battery either but for a slightly different reason. When the battery in non-removable/replacable you are not able to install an extended battery.... Which I have used on my last 3 smartphones.

So I too hope this is not a trend. I would think someone in accessory marketing would say, "Hey, when the battery is not replacable, look at all the extended batteries we can't sell!"

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    It seems to me that this is the direction we are heading. Apple has been working like this for years. It keeps the customer in touch with the OEM, "Oh your battery won't hold a charge send it in we will replace it", I think motorolla is the only company making android phones like this currently but if they can get the user to remember they have a moto product they think the customer will be more inclined to buy moto again come upgrade time IMO.

I don't like the idea of not being able to swap out batteries on your own, after all who wants to wait for your phone to be mailed and shipped back to you just to get a new battery. This also reminds me of how it seems we are beginning to see external storage slots going away.

7. Jman42028

Jman42028 Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2011
    Store Manager for vzw
    by the lake..
    I'm not positive, but I think the new HTC rezound has a sealed battery door as well. I haven't gotten one in my store yet to confirm. however, the htc rhyme definitely has a sealed battery door. :( sad really. That was a pretty big difference maker between android and that fruit company....cuz most issues on the smartphones can be alleviated by pulling the battery....

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    The Rezound has a battery door. It's battery actually fits in the Thunderbolt and works.

I believe all Android phones with a sealed battery door have a reset button you can press with a needle that works the same as a battery pull.

Scur likes this.