1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Searching for 4G when wifi is on

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swerver32, Oct 22, 2014.

1. swerver32

swerver32 Android Enthusiast

The building I work in lately has bad 4G signal indoors. Luckily we have wifi. For some reason, my verizon m8 still frantically searches for 4G, even with my wifi on and connected. To the point that the phone gets warm to the touch and the battery will drain 50% in a couple hours. If I turn off mobile data, things return to normal and my battery life is great again. I didn't have this problem before moving to this particular building. When I leave work, it's not an issue anymore - just at that building.

Question is, why do I have to turn off mobile data? I want it to stop searching for 4G when I am connected to wifi. Anyone know how to fix this? Are other's m8's like this, or is mine defective?

thanks all

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Maybe it's a Verizon issue? I haven't had that happen on my M8 from T-mobile. :dontknow:

3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Android Expert

If you go to Settings > Wi-Fi, drop down and Advanced do you have 'Auto-switch to mobile network' ticked?

Don't know if that is the problem but it says that it uses the data connection when the Wi-Fi signal is weak so could be that.

4. swerver32

swerver32 Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the idea, no that was not checked. I finally gave in and did a factory reset, and it seems to be just what I needed. Phone is running a lot better, this issue is resolved, battery life is back to what it used to be... all good!

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews