1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Searching for GPS signal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ukrkoz, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

I have 2007 Camry with absolute pos navigation DVD and system.

I love my Droid nav, but here's an issue I have:

every time I start navigation, it will be "Searching for GPS signal" for about 5 minutes. It works then, but seriously binds me down, as I must sit in a hot car and wait for signal to come up.

Regular countermeasures, like pulling battery out, turning GPS or Mobile data off and back up, restarting phone, produce no effect.

Originally, I had none of this problem, but it slowly built itself up. Wife's 3G Continuum rocks on navigation.

Any tips how to fix this? I have to have it functional, and fast.

Advertisement

stevehoffman likes this.
  2. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

I just did it again. 4 minutes 20 seconds before gps kicks in. full bars, GPS and Data turned on.

3. Yankees368

Yankees368 Android Enthusiast

This has been happening to me as well, but usually around a 15 minute wait. i have no idea why

4. ftisman

ftisman Lurker

Me too. This just seemed to start happening a few weeks ago. Right before Storm Irene hit the east coast by me..so I know its not that. Has anyone contacted Verizon?

5. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

i think i stumbled upon solution.
    i went into my gps settings yesterday and turned on verizon positioning. i had nav rolling in about 5 seconds after that.

6. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Android Enthusiast

I turn on all three (vzw location serv, standalone, and google) every time I use GPS and still get this crap. I never know which to turn on so I try all three. Average 5 minutes by restarting nav until it shows up.

7. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

I guess I spoke too soon. It's back to same issue. Most likely, yesterday, it already had GPS contact established, hence 2nd run went so fast.

8. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Android Enthusiast

BTW I don't notice a difference whether moving or not so if you know the general direction, just start driving.

GrammieDroid likes this.
  9. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

well, one can follow printed directions off the screen, but then what we are paying them for with all the 4G and nav stuff?

10. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

still searching. 10 minutes...

11. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

swapping phone out. spent 30 min-s or so with Verizon guy on the phone, he suggested exchange as it should not be that way. We did factory reset, no difference.

12. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

OK, here's the final word on this. the deeper one goes...

1.got my replacement Charge Monday. no difference. acts exactly like my old one. As a result, as it's Certified like new refurbished phone, I sent it back. Mine is most likely newer and apparently has no issues, why bother with someone else's return.
    2. went to Verizon store yesterday and pressed the issue. Guy spent good 15 minutes digging stuff out for this, and here the thing:

- apparently, phone knows very well where it is, as it will show correct map location and printed driving directions. TURN BY TURN voice guidance is what is not kicking in. ":searching for GPS" is apparently a bogus message, as phone does have GPS connection and knows location.

- Guy told me that Samsung is aware of the issue, and is looking for its cause, before they can fix it. Most likely, in a form of update.

so far, my phone is unpredictable in this respect. it can take 6 minutes, it can take 6 seconds to start voice guidance. worse come to worse, I can go off typed directions, to take off, until voice guidance kicks in.

stevehoffman likes this.
  13. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

All of Samsung galaxy 1 had these issues. I'm thinking its going to be a problem with the gs2. I know some are still having that issue with the Infuse.

14. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

taking under consideration that my wife's Samsung Continuum has none of this problem, I am leaning towards s/w issues, not phone h/w.

15. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

OK, good news.

Installed GPSFix yesterday. Basically, now guidance loads right by the time map screen opens. Instantly.

16. GARYMC

GARYMC Lurker

I also am having this GPS problem. Where did you get "GPSFIX"

17. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

market. there's a lot of negative feedback on it, and I have no idea why. nice, clean app. turn it on, run fix, give it about 15-30 seconds to do what it needs to do, thereafter - you golden on GPS directions. I do not run it before every navigation, it simply works.

also, just checked on it - turns out to be, I have no gps signal where my office is, which is warehouse type building. 3 feet outside - no problems. this might have been part of the issue either.

18. boatman

boatman Android Enthusiast

thought this issue was fixed with GB. but was downtown today, and couldn't get a fix. was going to try gpsfix, but heard bad things about it loading advertisements. anyone aware of this? anybody find that gb has made gps better?

19. stevehoffman

stevehoffman Well-Known Member

Brother, I have had this SAME problem with Google Nav on my Droid Charge. Did NOT have this problem on my previous phone, OG Droid. This is single most annoying thing I've dealt with in Droid Charge. Having to wait 5 minutes for Nav system to locate where I am!!

20. stevehoffman

I'm like you. I've played around with turning on and off the 3 various Nav setting options (VZ, Google, and Stand Alone) and still Maps not able to find my position without 5 minute or more "searching for GPS" delay!!

21. stevehoffman

Thanks for sharing this. So at least we know now that it IS a Samsung issue and that they are working on it.

22. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

also, I had NO issues with GPS Fix loading ads or something.
    I loaded Humble on my phone, testing how long does that one take to find gps. so far, been about 3 minutes.

23. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member

oh, wow.. took about 13 minutes..

well, turned wifi on - that fixed it right away. loaded gpsfix - got fix in about 15 seconds. I am rebooting phone right now, will do it again.

ok, after phone rebooted, but with gpsfix now installed, and wifi turned off - this time it loade directions in about 20 seconds.
    keep in mind, when it took longer, it was 1st time I used nav after phone was rooted.

24. natgild

natgild Lurker

I have exactly the same problem. If you follow this thread back, apparently Samsung has been aware of this and working on it since at least September. I wonder if they are still working on it? I read somewhere that Samsung has a history of flaky GPS's.