• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Second Android Phone User Here

Greetings my fellow x10 mini pro owners!

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a one-week-old proud owner of the SE X10 mini pro. Before this I was on the HTC Hero until the dodgy touchscreen drove me nuts. It was so bad that I stopped replying to text messages, much to my girlfriend's displeasure.

So I figured maybe a slide-out keyboard would solve all my relationship problems. I was also a big Sony-Ericsson fanboy before the cross-over to Android 15 months ago.

Comparing the 2 Android phones, here's my initial list of hits and misses for the x10 mp:

Hits:
1. Looks really nice. I've always found that Sony-Ericsson designs good looking phones (never mind they're a wee bit plasticky, it's not a Vertu I'd paid for). Not another iPhone-esque shaped smartphone, it definitely stands out from the crowd.

2. Impressive slide out keyboard. I vow never to use another pure touchscreen phone again. The tiny keys look very smart and tidy on the metallic keyboard. They work really well too - typing is almost a pleasure for me now.

3. Powerful hardware. Decent processor, camera & flash for its size.

Misses:
1. I miss using the trackball. Even a side jogger dial would be great. That would allow the phone to be operated with one hand. I hope SE considers it for future models.

2. Weak address book features. Where is the contacts Group category? I would like my contacts to be sorted into more groups than just favourites and non-favourites.

3. Keyboard operations could be more intuitive. I love how HTC uses the "long press" to alternate between alphabets and numbers/symbols when entering text. It cuts down on the number of buttons pressed.

I'm gonna stop here for now. Will add on to my list of pains or pleasures as I get more familiar with my new phone in the coming weeks. Please share your experiences here as well.

Cheers!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones