• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Second OTA update - 1.29

Just got an OTA update for mine HTC One X. Now the software number is 1.29.401.7.

Dont know yet what this update brought to my phone, but 2 updates within first week of having this toy - HTC seems to be interested in getting things right ASAP with their flagship toy :)

Btw, the phone is a non-branded sim free device, brought and being used in Lithuania.

If I find a change log - will keep you all updated.

---
Ok, here's what i found about changes on xda forums:
The Screen is now better.
Here are some measurements on my european HOX with a colorimeter.
Max brightness with a white Background.

Shipped HOX
RGB in %
100 101 78
Temperature
Brightness in cd/m

Just got an OTA update for mine HTC One X. Now the software number is 1.29.401.7.

Dont know yet what this update brought to my phone, but 2 updates within first week of having this toy - HTC seems to be interested in getting things right ASAP with their flagship toy :)

Btw, the phone is a non-branded sim free device, brought and being used in Lithuania.

If I find a change log - will keep you all updated.

---
Ok, here's what i found about changes on xda forums:

And

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Finally a proper insight on the changes this update brought us.

I must agree with Birdskenburg on the battery life - i am strongly impressed with my phones performance in the last few days. Under heavy use it gets down pretty quick, but on stand-by mode its totally amazing!

Birdskenburg said:
Here are my findings on the 1.29 update, after using it for a day:

- Battery life seems to be quite a bit better (although it's too early to tell obviously) and it looks as if the screen process is using less power; stats:
> 54% battery left (after 10h 41m 28s)
> Screen: 44% (time on: 1h 48m 50s)
> Things I did: 24m voice call, wifi on the whole time (8% batt usage), quite a bit of whatsapping, browsing, maps, 10 min gaming, antutu 1 time.
(before this update, I was happy if I could squeeze out 2,5h of screen time while having < 10% battery left)

- Immediately after the update, I thought I noticed an increase of performance (smoother UI), but after a while I started to doubt that (if there is a performance increase it's very minor)...
> GTA 3 performance didn't improve whatsoever

- AnTuTu benchmark results (like others already reported) are lower
> Going from 11.549 (1.28) to 10.800 (only the RAM and CPU performance decreased, the GPU, SD, etc. didn't change)

- Force GPU rendering works now. Turning it on doesn't really make the UI experience any smoother, except for 1 thing: the 'settings -> call' menu scrolling has always been very slow and it still is without GPU rendering, but when I enable the GPU rendering it miraculously becomes as smooth as the other menu's

- Didn't notice anything else really, cam performance/image quality is the same.

Upvote 0
Hi, just an update, a member oevr at XDA Forums has contacted HTC regarding the update and has recieved the following response:

I understand you wish to know when the latest Android 1.29 OTA update will be coming to your device.
In answer to your query the HTC One X Android 1.29 software update via FOTA EU is being rolled out as we speak, To unbranded devices. The servers can only handle a specific amount of updates a day so you will have to be patient but you should receive the update soon. If your device is branded to a network e.g. 3, please wait for the network to release their branded software. The update is only available ota (over the air). There is also no way of installing an unbranded update on a branded device.

To manually search for updates please go through the following steps as described in the link below:

http://www.htc.com/help/www/howto_if...ype=1&p_id=440

For the latest news releases Please go to Our official HTC website, HTC
Or web Fan pages e.g. Facebook & Twitter.
HTC thank you for your continued patience and co-operation at this time.

Thanks to anoniemouse for the post.

Reactions: crookloq
Upvote 0
Am just about to accept Free upgrade from Orange to a HTX ONE X. Have you had any updates from Orange on your One X? I am thinking of purchasing it simm free, in order to get updates quickly, but am wondering will Orange send me a mini simm for it.

Updates on branded phones will take longer. Orange wills end u a micro sim but it could take a while, my friend bought a ONE X Sim free 2 weeks ago and is still waiting for a sim from Orange.

Reactions: Richardheuston
Upvote 0
Am just about to accept Free upgrade from Orange to a HTX ONE X. Have you had any updates from Orange on your One X? I am thinking of purchasing it simm free, in order to get updates quickly, but am wondering will Orange send me a mini simm for it.

Why don't you get it from phones 4u or carphonewarehouse they both dish out unbranded phones, i got my orange contract upgrade through phones 4u as i didn't want a branded one.(made that mistake before with the desire on orange)

Upvote 0
Why don't you get it from phones 4u or carphonewarehouse they both dish out unbranded phones, i got my orange contract upgrade through phones 4u as i didn't want a branded one.(made that mistake before with the desire on orange)

Exactly the same here.

Also, UK and no update yet. Been getting poor wi-fi signal, so hopefully this will improve. I'm almost on top of a work's access point, and the best signal I get is "good".

Upvote 0
Exactly the same here.

Also, UK and no update yet. Been getting poor wi-fi signal, so hopefully this will improve. I'm almost on top of a work's access point, and the best signal I get is "good".

Have to agree, i got my new contract on Orange from Phones4U and its unbranded.

Also, one of the members from XDA has just posted this:

Just called HTC & they confirmed that the update (1.29) is scheduled for the UK but their "server" is on automatic rotation so they can't confirmed when I will get it - either way they asked me to dial in *#*#CHECKIN#*#* which forces your phone to check in with the update server and queue in for the update itself.

I've just tried this myself and once you press the final * it goes back to normal dial screen, but after about 5 seconds you should have a notification appear which says Check In Successful.

Ill post hear if i get the update any time soon if others could do the same if they try it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Personally I was going to upgrade my Desire to a One X and go unbranded rather than from Orange. Both P4U and CPW were asking for silly money compared to Orange, but the deciding factor for me was Orange Care. I've been with Orange for about 15 or so years now and had to claim a couple of times for handsets that just stopped working while I was in contract and on both occasions they've had a new handset delivered to me the next morning, even once when I phoned at about 4PM on a Saturday and the replacement was with me by 9AM on the Sunday. I researched CPW and P4U's insurance online and not only did it cost more but I found countless people saying how bad they all were. As for claiming via home & contents insurance or using your bank account or credit card's insurance I doubt their service would be as prompt as that which I saw from Orange. So that's why I went for a branded handset again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the checkin tip. It hasn't come up with any updates unfortunately, but the checkin succeeded anyway (hopefully it didn't put us back to the back of the queue hehe)

I found a copy of the update and instructions for flashing it from the recovery menu, but it doesn't appear to work. As far as I can tell you have to unlock the bootloader and update the recovery image, which is straying well into warranty voiding territory so I guess I'll just sit tight!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones