1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Secondhand Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cigar3tte, Dec 16, 2011.

1. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    I guess this applies to all phones, but with the cost of this phone, I'm more worried about the risk.

Is there a way to make sure, that when I'm buying from either eBay or Craigslist, that the seller wouldn't just claim the phone stolen once I have it? If I activate it on the spot with Verizon, can the previous owner still file it as stolen?

Also, how would support work? Theoretically, if I bought the phone from Amazon, Verizon still wouldn't know right? Does it make a difference to them where the phone comes from in regards to providing support?

Advertisement

2. cigar3tte

None

Nov 4, 2009
  3. homegeek

homegeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2010
    Supervisor of an IT Helpdesk
    Chicago, IL
    The problem is that there is no way of knowing what a person will or will not do. If he is a scumbag then he could although there would be no benefit to him to do it.

As for support, Verizon corporate will support the phone no matter where the phone was purchased from. They should even be able to handle warranty issues.

4. cigar3tte

None

Nov 4, 2009
    If he files his phone as stolen, he can get a new replacement. Huge benefit.

5. homegeek

homegeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2010
    Supervisor of an IT Helpdesk
    Chicago, IL
    That is a possibility. You just don't know. The only thing I might suggest is make the exchange at a Corporate store and maybe see if they can notate the account that he sold the phone.

6. zetroc

zetroc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 3, 2010
    Male
    Association Management
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm sure you could report it to eBay. If the item says it has a clean ESN and you come to activate it and it's not, then the seller did not sell you the advertised product, and eBay has policies against that. Also, you should look at the seller's ratings. If the ratings don't make you feel comfortable, then don't risk it. Remember 100% isn't always good if the seller only has 6 ratings, whereas a 97% positive feedback on 85 ratings may be a better indicator. Just my thoughts.

Tags: