• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Secure/Password Media or folders??

DFA1

Nov 14, 2009
I'm sure I'm not the only one with naughty pics of my girl friend or other girls on my phone that I don't want the girl friend, other girls, or friends and people in general to see...

Is there a way to put these files in a secure/passwored folder on the SD card that the "Albums" or any other video/pic app can't access? Besides keeping my phone locked, I don't want someone accidently flicking through the photo album and stumble upon these. Also I noticed even switching the Wallpaper shows all the pics on the phone.

I have an idea of an app called "Stash" where you can move any files (maybe even contacts/texts) to a particular place on the SD card that the phone can not find.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with naughty pics of my girl friend or other girls on my phone that I don't want the girl friend, other girls, or friends and people in general to see...

Is there a way to put these files in a secure/passwored folder on the SD card that the "Albums" or any other video/pic app can't access? Besides keeping my phone locked, I don't want someone accidently flicking through the photo album and stumble upon these. Also I noticed even switching the Wallpaper shows all the pics on the phone.

I have an idea of an app called "Stash" where you can move any files (maybe even contacts/texts) to a particular place on the SD card that the phone can not find.

i think if you put a blank textfile and name it .nomedia ignore the errors windows give you and place it in the folder of those files it remove them from the album app

this also works for pesky ringtones showing up in the music app.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
so how would you access that folder from your phone? I'm a total noob to Droid.:rolleyes:

There is an app called Astro File Manager that lets you access files on your SD card, and one of the settings allows you to see what would normally be hidden files (i.e., files whose names begin with a period.)

ASTRO File Manager - Android app on AppBrain

I originally was going to reply that you could use Android Terminal Emulator and type in "touch /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/.nomedia", but when I tried it on my Droid X, I got a permission-denied error (I'm still un-rooted on the X).

But I was/am able to create the .nomedia file using Astro like doogald said by navigating to the folder in question, pressing the menu button, selecting the "New" icon, selecting "Zip file", type in "nomedia", then long-press the "nomedia" file that you just created, select "Edit", select "Rename" and edit the filename to be ".nomedia".

Voila'--the images don't show-up in the gallery (I just had pictures of my dog, though :D...Honest!)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I originally was going to reply that you could use Android Terminal Emulator and type in "touch /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/.nomedia", but when I tried it on my Droid X, I got a permission-denied error (I'm still un-rooted on the X).

But I was/am able to create the .nomedia file using Astro like doogald said by navigating to the folder in question, pressing the menu button, selecting the "New" icon, selecting "Zip file", type in "nomedia", then long-press the "nomedia" file that you just created, select "Edit", select "Rename" and edit the filename to be ".nomedia".

Voila'--the images don't show-up in the gallery (I just had pictures of my dog, though :D...Honest!)

Cheers!

Kinky...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones