1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Security app recomendation and need to be phone administrator

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by paulri, Jul 31, 2016.

1. paulri

paulri Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I was having problems with Malwarebytes on Android (kept freezing, even after uninstalling and reinstalling) so I am looking for a new one. The only name I recognized from the Google Play store that did not say that they would feed me ads (or in-app purchases) was Sophos. I am ok with this, but after installing, it keeps telling me that it needs to be the phone adminstrator to prevent being uninstalled.

Is this normal for a security app? I don't recall Malwarebytes continually nagging me for this. I'd like to be able to easily uninstall this app if I ever want to, so I'm not sure why I'd want to make it a phone administrator. Anyways, if this is not a reasonable demand from Sophos, are there any other free antimalware apps that don't have ads or nag me to buy stuff?

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Actually, security apps are one of the worst apps that you can have. They always run, consuming battery and other resources sometimes slowing down your phone.
    This app needs your permission to run constantly in the background.

svim likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    It's normal. Big name AV apps with security features like BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Avast also ask for this permission. Not that you actually need one though

svim likes this.
  4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If the Malwarebytes app is locking up on your phone that's a sign there's something wrong. Not necessarily an exploit issue but maybe an operating system functionality issue. When you tried to reinstall it, when doing the uninstall, are you also using the 'Clear data' button before you do the reinstall? Also, just to confirm, you're using Google Play to do the install and not some downloaded apk?
    Was the Malwarebytes app freezing during an actual scan or just randomly?

Take note of what previous comments have referred to regarding the actual necessity for an Android malware/anti-virus utility -- are you having actual problems or just doing some kind of preemptive action that's typical for a Windows system?