• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

security issues?

This may all just be coincidental, but I've had two cases of my accounts being accessed by someone else right after using my Droid to access them. First, a couple weeks ago, my Facebook account was hijacked right after I used one of their mobile sites to check a message and reply to it... then, yesterday, my WordPress blog was compromised right after I tried out the new WordPress app from the market. Are there any known bad apps or things to look for to find out if it is something on the Droid that's causing these issues?

You weren't using a public wifi access point were you? Never do anything on public wifi you wouldn't want put on a giant billboard, cause it just might be.

Sheep.jpg

Upvote 0
after the facebook issue a few weeks back I went through all of my online passwords and changed them up, varied a few that shared the same and generally strengthened all of them... which is why this was quite surprising. I just found it to be way too coincidental that it happened right after I logged in with the Wordpress app.

I was using Verizon 3G in both cases... though, in both cases, I happened to be near two different branches of the same hospital at the time... for you conspiracy nuts out there.

Upvote 0
Are these 3rd party apps? If so, bail out on them.

Some apps should only be purchased/downloaded from the original companies themselves. For example, I would be using the FB app from Facebook and not some guy with letters and numbers in his name.

Same thing with Wordpress - are you using an app from Wordpress themself or some guy that developed an app to access that site?

If you choose to use 3rd party apps, you open yourself to security issues as their "privacy policy" may not (and probably isn't) the same as the company's features (ie FB) you are trying to access.

3rd party apps that ask for passwords = use at your own risk

Upvote 0
This may all just be coincidental, but I've had two cases of my accounts being accessed by someone else right after using my Droid to access them. First, a couple weeks ago, my Facebook account was hijacked right after I used one of their mobile sites to check a message and reply to it... then, yesterday, my WordPress blog was compromised right after I tried out the new WordPress app from the market. Are there any known bad apps or things to look for to find out if it is something on the Droid that's causing these issues?
I had a similar event with Facebook a few weeks ago, and the folks here opined that it could have nothing to do with accessing the site using the Droid with the OFFICIAL FACEBOOK APP. I'm not convinced, and so I killed the app, changed my Facebook password and no further issues - however, Facebook is a notorious hackers delight, so who knows . . . :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones