1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Security purposes

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Successor, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Successor

Successor Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2016
    Male
    Hi Guys,

I have 8 inch 16GB SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB A and its model is SM-T350. It has Android 6.0.1 version.

* I want to delete any file or anything on my Tab more securely. I mean, such deleted ones should not be recovered by any app. What is the free best app for the purpose?

* I want to securely erase the contents or free space on a drive. What is the best free app available?

.*I have the above-mentioned Tab. It is a new one. What are the settings to be changed for highly security purposes?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    why bother?
    if it is a brand new device, there is nothing of your own private life to be kept safe.

the instant you start to save more data or install more programs on it, all of the deleted stuff will soon be over written anyway.

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    If you're thinking data written to your Tab's storage media is the same as how a data gets written to a conventional, spinning disk hard drive in a computer, it's not. A 'secure erase' for a NAND flash chip in your Tab would be functionally different. If file security is an absolute must perhaps you might want to focus on Android's Full Disk Encryption:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/what-full-disk-encryption-android-lollipop

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Following on from this, if the device shipped with Marshmallow, it will have full disk encryption enabled straight out of the box.

Mikestony, svim and lunatic59 like this.
  5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    ... and just to follow up on that ;-) just to elaborate on encrypted media, whatever personal data you've saved doesn't require any practical 'secure erase' as it's basically just gibberish. If a file recovery utility is able to retrieve any files, without your encryption password, they just exist as scrambled bits. (Well, unless it's an organization like our NSA trying to dig into your Tab, but that's a different matter.)

El Presidente and Mikestony like this.