• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security update

Please post more details on just where you heard the February security update is problematic.
If it's an actual widespread problem there should be a lot online buzz about it. If you're just being reactionary to some comment you read somewhere, that's another matter as isolated problems are always going to happen.

Upvote 0
There is a known issue causing some devices to drain battery faster than usual, though it generally seems like that can be corrected with a bit of housekeeping (clearing cache/data for the hung system app(s)).

Contrary to media reporting, the February security update actually fixes much more than it breaks. My recommendation would be to go ahead and update. Let us know if you run into any issues following the update and we can help you through it.

Upvote 0
@Hadron it seems like Google's investigation reached the same conclusion:
Hey All,

Thanks to all of those that have sent over bug reports, it has been very helpful. Our analysis does not show any evidence of a significant issue with battery-life following the February software update on Pixel 2.

We will always investigate bug reports to look into any potential issues, and I'll keep you all updated if there's any other information.

My money's on cache/data corruption causing certain processes to hang post-update. Clearing data for the affected apps should get things back on track.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
OT:

@WeeWilly which phones don't you have?
@dontpanicbobby, I suffer from CAPS (Compulsive Android Purchase Syndrome) and I usually purchase every flagship Android phone that's introduced and sell my current phone. This time, though, I'm going to skip the S9+, stick with my Pixel 2 XL, and probably buy the Pixel 3 XL when it's introduced next September or October. To help control my CAPS I switched carriers and I'm now with Google's Project Fi and flagship phones other than Google's can't take advantage of all the Project Fi features.

Upvote 0
So you had an S8? @WeeWilly
Yes, I went from an S8 to the Note 8. In my old age I was always forgetting I had an S-Pen so I sold the Note 8 and bought a Huawei Mate 9. I liked the Mate 9 so much that I bought a Mate 10 and sold the Mate 9. Then the US Government started its campaign against Huawei products and I saw the handwriting on the wall. I figured that banks might start blocking Huawei phones from online banking and people with Huawei phones could lose their security clearances. I sold the Mate 10 and bought a Pixel XL 2 and I think I'll stick with this phone for a while.

Upvote 0
@dontpanicbobby, I suffer from CAPS (Compulsive Android Purchase Syndrome) and I usually purchase every flagship Android phone that's introduced and sell my current phone. This time, though, I'm going to skip the S9+, stick with my Pixel 2 XL, and probably buy the Pixel 3 XL when it's introduced next September or October. To help control my CAPS I switched carriers and I'm now with Google's Project Fi and flagship phones other than Google's can't take advantage of all the Project Fi features.

Great post. I have the same first world problem. I too am going to skip the S9. Can't stand Samsung lag. There's always promise of it getting better and it never does. I also love how Pixel has no bloatware. I see myself now becoming a Pixel loyalist, and perhaps will escape the CAPS syndrome you described.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones