1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Security Updates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RonaldH, Sep 13, 2016.

1. RonaldH

RonaldH Member

Whilst I read that this excellent tablet will not get the latest Nougat 7 software, will it continue to receive monthly security updates. Haven't seen it for this month, September 2016?

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

I read over on XDA that no it won't. The reason being is that it's over 3 years old. Google gives 2 years of OS updates then 1 additional year of security updates. We got lucky that they gave us Marshmallow. It's a shame since it's still a good tablet but it is what it is.

3. RonaldH

RonaldH Member

Thanks for info. Will take a look at 'XDA', not familiar with it.

4. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

If you want android N and you have a PC you can unlock your bootloader and install it manually. We already have android n over on xda developers. I've already tried it and it works really well.

mydian likes this.
  5. RonaldH

RonaldH Member

Thanks for info. I no knowledge about bootloader/manual install so maybe best to avoid ... but it would be nice to have Android N on my tablet to match waht I have now on my Nexus 5X phone. Is it an easy process?

6. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

My latest update is from August.

7. RonaldH

RonaldH Member

Looks like Aug is the end of 'life' for updates. But I still reckon there is a lot of 'life' left in my WiFi tab and I will continue to use it with pride, switching to my Nexus 5X if 'extra's are required. Congrats Google ... I am a happy user.

8. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Yes, it's an awesome tablet. Considering that my S4 hasn't seen an update in ages, I think my Nexus will last quite a while still!

Nexus 7 (2013) Forum

The Nexus 7 (2013) release date was July 2013. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3950mAh battery.

July 2013
Release Date
Reviews