• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Chatted with F-Secure. Data existing on the external SD card is not included in a remote wipe. If you domicile your backups on an external card another individual would be able to perform a restore even if internal SD info is wiped.

Well that's silly. I'm not going to remember to remove the MicroSD card before my phone gets lost/stolen. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should contact F-Secure too and voice my thoughts on this.

I wonder if the author of Titanium Backup could be convinced to add password-encryption to the backup files.

Upvote 0
It's a failure on the part of the Product Manager when he/she authored the requirements document (as well as a failure of others within F-Secure to notice the glaring omission). Yes, it's free, but it's used to upsell the consumer to their Mobile Security app, and if the little brother is lacking...

BTW, yesterday I submitted the ability to wipe the external SD card as a feature request for the product's next iteration.

Upvote 0
Yikes..a couple of folks that installed this had their phones lock on them! One reviewer's story is that it locked up when going to flight mode then back. The app must have thought the sim was changed..NG

Thanks for the heads-up. That said, if you'd ask Symantec (or any other software company for that matter), they'd say "that's why it's called a beta."

Upvote 0
I'm really liking what I see with Theft Aware.

When you install it, it asks for a Name to use for the app, so that it will not be recognizable as a security app, and that is what shows up in the App Drawer. But then when you try to run that, it won't run w/o a security code that you set up.

When it is 'active', it in fact does not even show up in the app drawer. Don't see it in the list of running apps either. Not sure how they accomplish that.

I'm going to experiment with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones