1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Security

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jpags, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jpags

Jpags Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    After reading about the android not needing a task killer, since its linux based and it could make it worse, I got rid of it. Would this be true for security apps, such as firewalls and virus protection, are the really needed I could understand the one that helps find your phone. I have lookout installed and it says it does a virus check after an app is installed.

Advertisement

2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    NJ
    there is no need for an anti-virus program on an android phone, despite what some people say. there are very few android viruses out there now, and unless your d/l ing random files you find from untrusted sources on the net you ll be fine.

3. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Co-op'ing, doing software development in IT
    Ohio, US
    I agree, an actual antivirus program is unneeded - the best antivirus (and other unfun programs) is your common sense. There's an article I like [here] that goes through various permissions an app can have, what risks they are, and how to spot when something's amiss. I also recommend never auto-updating apps, and before each update, look through the Market comments to see if there are any complaints.

4. Jpags

Jpags Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Thats what I figured I don't install untrusted sources I install after I read the comments on the market first and know what im installing. Thanks for the link also, I never bothered looking at the permissions it wants access to.

5. phonefiend

phonefiend Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    I like the BlackBerry OS permissions model better where the user can deny specific permissions to each application.