• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeing ads in my notification bar?

Signed up specifically to post on this topic, started receiving these weird ads only about a week ago, maybe less.

Culprit was "Restaurant Nutrition", previously a decent app.

Also a notable mention is "Speaktoit Assistant" which is a sort of low functionality Siri clone, they showed up as using "Xtify" and google says that's a push notification ad/info collection thing. While I didn't actually receive any push ads from them I think, I don't want to wait for them to start doing it.

Same experience as Chadameda, Addon Detector found both (I filtered for push notifications) and Airpush Detector didn't find anything. Lot of ad services going on though.

Upvote 0
I also had problems from restaurant nutrition. I had it on two phones and problems with ads on both. Removed the app and the spam is gone. Thanks for the help guys. What I really want to know though is why was this functionality put in android to begin with? How could google not see this type of abuse would happen?

Upvote 0
This was the first time I got this kind of ad, and it drove me crazy! I went to the website they said to opt out at, and it wanted my phone's IMEI/MEID. That scared me enough to do a search for more info, which is how I found this thread. Thank you!!

My culprit was Nice Waterfall Live Wallpaper. It certainly makes me question the integrity of the developers, and I love, love, LOVE 'Addons Detector'. I just filtered for Push Notifications, but you can find out other ways apps are getting info from your phone.

Upvote 0
Some time ago I installed some apps that was serving me notification ads and i decided to develop an app that could block these ads and here are effects of my work:

Airblocker - Application can detect & block Airpush and LeadBolt ads editing hosts file (ROOT needed) or by IMEI (no root needed but this feature is still in tests).

Here you can download and test application: https://market.android.com/details?id=pl.byq.airblocker

Please give some feedback if it doesn't work (on my HTC Desire with Cyanogen it works ;] )

P.S Sorry for my english

Reactions: Roze and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Some time ago I installed some apps that was serving me notification ads and i decided to develop an app that could block these ads and here are effects of my work:

Airblocker - Application can detect & block Airpush and LeadBolt ads editing hosts file (ROOT needed) or by IMEI (no root needed but this feature is still in tests).

Here you can download and test application: https://market.android.com/details?id=pl.byq.airblocker

Please give some feedback if it doesn't work (on my HTC Desire with Cyanogen it works ;] )

P.S Sorry for my english

Its not work with non-rooted phones.

Upvote 0
Hey all.

Recently (like a week ago or so) I started seeing ads in my notification bar... it has an icon which is a white star with a red dot in the middle. The last one I got said "College degrees available" and when I clicked it... it brought me to gameloft.com (first time seeing this site) :thinking:

Any ideas? It's not that much of a nuisance, but I'm just afraid of spyware and such.

I didn't install any new apps (at least I don't think), but did update my apps.

Thanks.

Use Airpush detector, then you can easily find which app has Airpus add-on, then uninstall it, use ads blocker or opt-out Airpush ads.

Airpush Detector Android app
Adaway Android app
Opt-out Airpush ads.

Remove Android Notification area Ads

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones