1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support seeking folder tree on Android v2.2 Inspire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saintdanbert, Apr 10, 2011.

1. saintdanbert

saintdanbert Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    writer, educator, adult trainer
    Austin, TX USA
    Where do I find a description of the tree of folders used on my HTC Inspire with v2.2 (Froyo) Android?

Where do "downloads" wind up by default?
    Where do text message attachments get "saved" by default?
    Where does the camera app put still images by default?
    Where does the vid-cam app put video images by default?

I have a bunch of MP3 music that I will load to the mu-SD card.
    Which folder(s) should I use so that it is organized in a reasonable way
    -- say: genre ==> artist ==> album ==> track?

I want to add pod-casts as well as music. Where do I put them?

You get the idea so I'll quit writing...

Thanks in advance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    get astro file manager. that will list all your folders,

for downloads using astro, sdcard-downloads
    -videos, sdcard-videos
    -camera pics, sdcard-DCIM-100media (unless you use quickpic and create new pic folders and in which case it would be sdcard-(name of the folder you created)
    -text attachments (mine were going to sdcard-download, but once i download then i move them to whatever folder i want them in like text videos i move to my videos folder)

3. saintdanbert

None

Oct 26, 2010
    Austin, TX USA
    Yes, I know about ASTRO File Manager and I know that it will display what exists on my phone. Thank you for that.

What I'm asking is a description of the file and folder PLAN and LAYOUT
    so that I can sort some things out. There is a document for linux distros that list the file and folder standard. Where is similar for Android?

I take a picture with my still camera. The camera app puts it into folder XXXX. Is that a default location or was it somehow configured to put things there? When various apps scan a flash media card, any DCIM folder provokes the "process photos" logic. Can I force my camera to always write pix and vids to DCIM/something?

I have similar questions for the following (an incomplete list)
    I record audio with my sound recorder app ...
    I get an attachment to a text message ...
    I get an attachment to an email ...

Cheers,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

4. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    The phone is configured to put camera pics in the DCIM folder. If you were to delete or rename the folder to my knowledge the phone would just create a new DCIM folder for any new pics taken (same for downloads). The only way I have found to get pics audio etc to other folders, like I named some folders family cars etc, is to move them from DCIM to the location I prefer. Havent found a way for it to give me that option as I take the pics.

Same with downloads/attachments the phone automatically creates the path for the file then you move it to the folder you want it in.

5. saintdanbert

None

Oct 26, 2010
    Austin, TX USA
    Do these files always end up on the muSD media card in some standard folder? Where do I learn the names of the various and several standard folders?

I have some "ringtones" and "notifications" that I created in various ways. Where do I put these so that the phone finds them when I try to set a sound to an event?

Where does the music player look for MP3 files?
    Does the music player understand OGG files?

Where does the video player look for movie files?
    Which formats will the video player digest and display?

NOTE -- Both audio and video might be files that I created or files that I've moved from other media by way of my workstation.

Merci d'avance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

6. 2manyPHONES

None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    1) as far as I know they go to the standard folder. Im thinking google to learn the standard folder names cause all I can tell you are the basics: download, DCIM, mp3download (this was created when I downloaded an mp3 directly to the phone), most of the others are app names.

2) my ringtones and notifications are in the media folder that was created on my sd card, sd/media/audio/ringtones (or the notification folder). Putting them there will place them with the system tones and yoy will then see them in the list when you do menu-settings-sound-ringtone. But if they are ringtones from an app like zedge then those are in the zedge folder-ringtone. when you go to set a sound and you have more than just the system sounds it seems to automatically detect this and will ask where you want to get the sounds from like my options are system ringtones, zedge, and music. I then tap on whay folder I want for example music then scroll thru my songs and pick one. ( this example is with the handcent text app)

3) I believe the music player scans all files for mp3 cause I have them in different folders but they all come up in my music player (same with videos). Im not sure about the OGG files.

4) I was having problems getting the stock video player to play files like .avi, I got rockplayer lite and have been using that. Also this lets you pause a video and go back to it later where you left off (stock player takes you back to beginning)