• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeking Recommendation for Backup App or File Manager App

Can anyone recommend a Backup App or File Manager App that can:

1. Copy over files from my Moto G Power (2020) to a USB Flash Drive plugged in with an OTG cable.

2. I do not want to encrypt, I do not want to compress, I want the files or database copied over in their original format.

3. I wish to copy over the following types of files or databases:
.jpg picture files
.mp4 video files
.mp3 music and audio files
.ogg ringtone files
.docx text files
.txt text files
.pdf Acrobat files
SMS / MMS messages from Message+ (this may also be called Verizon Messages)
Contacts Info
Call log

Thank you for the recommendation.

Does the free version work well, or do I need to get the version you pay for?

Thank you.

I have been trying the free version and it seems good, though the ads are a little annoying and I have to figure out how to copy files. It is not an option in all view formats. But this is definitely a big step in the right direction. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you want to eliminate ads from a free app, simply put the device into airplane mode before you open the app.

If you have already opened the app before with internet connected, then clear the cache (and possibly data as well) and try it again without allowing the device any internet connection.

A bit more involved method which still allows internet connectivity is to use a firewall to block internet contact for the apps that you wish to be ad-free.

Possibly, this free OTG file sharing app may do the job without any worry of ads:

https://f-droid.org/packages/com.htetznaing.adbotg

Upvote 0
If you're really averse to using a pay-for file manager app, there are plenty of other viable alternatives. Try the Moto File Manager app, it's developed and maintained by Motorola, free to use and no ads.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.FileBrowser2&hl=en_US&gl=US

But Solid is a feature-rich option, and it's only a couple of bucks.

I do not mind paying for software, and the price of apps is usually a fraction of the cost of programs for desktop computers.
I just want to be able to make sure that the program works for my uses before paying for it.
I have had the experience of some developers claiming that the feature you need to really make the app work for you is only available in the paid version, and after paying for it, I found that it still did not work for me and had to go through the Google Play refund process which takes about a week.

Thanks for the recommend of the Moto File manager, I will try it also.

So far, Solid has allowed me to find everything that I want to copy to USB except the call log which I am still trying to figure out the location of.

I did also discover that my SD card reader will not stay awake when connected to my phone with an OTG cable. It provides the directory structure and then goes to sleep. It also will not allow formatting the SD card. So I have to use a actual USB Flash drive connected to the OTG cable connected to the phone. Not a big deal, just odd.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you want to eliminate ads from a free app, simply put the device into airplane mode before you open the app.

If you have already opened the app before with internet connected, then clear the cache (and possibly data as well) and try it again without allowing the device any internet connection.

A bit more involved method which still allows internet connectivity is to use a firewall to block internet contact for the apps that you wish to be ad-free.

Possibly, this free OTG file sharing app may do the job without any worry of ads:

https://f-droid.org/packages/com.htetznaing.adbotg

Thanks for the recommend, but the link gives me a 404.
Could you please re-post?

I found that turning off the WiFi stops the ads.
If further testing works out, I will probably buy the app anyway to help support the developers efforts.

Upvote 0
So far, Solid has allowed me to find everything that I want to copy to USB except the call log which I am still trying to figure out the location of.

Your Moto's integral phone call log will be stored in a directory you don't typically have direct access to, so it's not something just any file manager app can access (there are a lot of restricted files/folders on your device that are protected for specific reasons). You might want to use the SMS Backup & Restore app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US&gl=US
As its name implies, it is primarily a utility to backup/restore SMS text messages, but it also includes the ability to save your phone call log as a separate xml/txt file.

Upvote 0
Your Moto's integral phone call log will be stored in a directory you don't typically have direct access to, so it's not something just any file manager app can access (there are a lot of restricted files/folders on your device that are protected for specific reasons). You might want to use the SMS Backup & Restore app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US&gl=US
As its name implies, it is primarily a utility to backup/restore SMS text messages, but it also includes the ability to save your phone call log as a separate xml/txt file.

Thank you. This helps alot.
I have been looking at the file systems on the other phones we have in our household: Moto on Android 9, Samsungs on Android 8, Samsungs on Android 10, with Solid.
Each seems to find a new place to hide (store) some of the files I wish to backup for us. Some I have not tracked down yet.
I really appreciate the help the forum members have been giving me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones