• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Seem to have lost root :\

I updated to Clockworkmod 5.0.1.0 and seem to have 'lost' root. Everything is still there and it seems rooted, but I went to run my weekly app backup to find Titanium Backup was denied superuser permissions. I ran Root Checker to find it claims I no longer have root :(

I tried manually flashing 5.0.2.0 and using my backups and everything like that I can come up with. The only thing left is to flash RCMix3D again to get it back and have to do all my mods again (a hassle I really want to avoid if I can)

Does anyone have any suggestions to sort it? If you do can you give me an Idiots guide to fixing it too so I don't run into any more issues along the way :)

SORTED!!! Had to flash Superuser 2.3.6.3 from Recovery (Previous attempts were of 3.0beta4) reported the issue to the devs just incase it's something their end (but it was probably my fault to be fair ;))

Had a thought though... if I reflash the same ROM and then use my backup I'll still be rooted and get all my stuff back as it is right?

Upvote 0
Did you make the backups with the old version of CWM or the 5.x.x.x releases? Backups make with 3.x.x.x aren't compatible with 5.x.x.x.

Also, if you reflash a ROM, then restore a backup, the backup will overwrite the flash meaning if you backed up a ROM with a problem, restoring it would restore the problem.

Unless you're talking about the Titanium backup?

Upvote 0
Did you make the backups with the old version of CWM or the 5.x.x.x releases? Backups make with 3.x.x.x aren't compatible with 5.x.x.x.

Also, if you reflash a ROM, then restore a backup, the backup will overwrite the flash meaning if you backed up a ROM with a problem, restoring it would restore the problem.

Unless you're talking about the Titanium backup?

Turns out staying with 4EXT for the time being was a good call lol ;)

Upvote 0
I did a backup just after I upgraded to 5.0.1.0 and it had no issues at the time...I did actually try and restore it yesterday, but there was this issue that turns out to have been superuser throwing a fit.
Wasn't thinking of the Titanium Backup, although that should be fine shouldn't it? Auto re-install of my apps and settingsonce re-downloaded.

As I say, sorted it with flashing a stable su release.

Upvote 0
Turns out staying with 4EXT for the time being was a good call lol ;)

Seems to be the case. I was gonna go for a new kernel at some point today, but I think I'll wait for a bit.....

I did a backup just after I upgraded to 5.0.1.0 and it had no issues at the time...I did actually try and restore it yesterday, but there was this issue that turns out to have been superuser throwing a fit.
Wasn't thinking of the Titanium Backup, although that should be fine shouldn't it? Auto re-install of my apps and settingsonce re-downloaded.

As I say, sorted it with flashing a stable su release.

Aye, restoring with TB should be fine, as long as you have root. Glad you're sorted though. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones