1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Seem to have lost root :\

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by poopookakada, Sep 5, 2011.

1. poopookakada

poopookakada Android Enthusiast

I updated to Clockworkmod 5.0.1.0 and seem to have 'lost' root. Everything is still there and it seems rooted, but I went to run my weekly app backup to find Titanium Backup was denied superuser permissions. I ran Root Checker to find it claims I no longer have root :(

I tried manually flashing 5.0.2.0 and using my backups and everything like that I can come up with. The only thing left is to flash RCMix3D again to get it back and have to do all my mods again (a hassle I really want to avoid if I can)

Does anyone have any suggestions to sort it? If you do can you give me an Idiots guide to fixing it too so I don't run into any more issues along the way :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

If you boot into the bootloader, do you still have S-OFF?

Is the Super User app still on the phone?

3. poopookakada

Yep, Super User is still there. How do I tell if I have S-OFF by going into Bootloader? Will it say "HBOOT" below the list of phone details and above the selectable list? or is there something else I'm looking for? (just want to be sure everything is correct ;))

4. El Presidente

VIP Member

It will say at the very top of the white screen "ACE PCT ENG S-OFF" (or similar).

From the apps menu within the phone, can you clear the data associated with the Super User app so that when an app that needs root again asks for it, you get the Super User prompt.

5. poopookakada

It says "Ace PVT Ship S-OFF" Just cleared the data for Super User. Not that I expected that to do anything, but it didn't help ;)

No apps ask for Super User permissions at the moment... they're automatically denied despite Super User being set to automatically allow

6. El Presidente

VIP Member

The only info I can find with a similar issue is here: Help!!! No apps reporting root!!! :( - xda-developers (doesn't mention CWM, but the symptoms are the same as yours).

It also seems from here that 5.0.1.0 has caused a bit of an issue.

You can reflash, or you could try rerooting with Gingerbreak.

poopookakada likes this.
  7. poopookakada

SORTED!!! Had to flash Superuser 2.3.6.3 from Recovery (Previous attempts were of 3.0beta4) reported the issue to the devs just incase it's something their end (but it was probably my fault to be fair ;))

Had a thought though... if I reflash the same ROM and then use my backup I'll still be rooted and get all my stuff back as it is right?

8. El Presidente

VIP Member

Did you make the backups with the old version of CWM or the 5.x.x.x releases? Backups make with 3.x.x.x aren't compatible with 5.x.x.x.

Also, if you reflash a ROM, then restore a backup, the backup will overwrite the flash meaning if you backed up a ROM with a problem, restoring it would restore the problem.

Unless you're talking about the Titanium backup?

9. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

Turns out staying with 4EXT for the time being was a good call lol ;)

10. poopookakada

I did a backup just after I upgraded to 5.0.1.0 and it had no issues at the time...I did actually try and restore it yesterday, but there was this issue that turns out to have been superuser throwing a fit.
    Wasn't thinking of the Titanium Backup, although that should be fine shouldn't it? Auto re-install of my apps and settingsonce re-downloaded.

As I say, sorted it with flashing a stable su release.

11. El Presidente

VIP Member

Seems to be the case. I was gonna go for a new kernel at some point today, but I think I'll wait for a bit.....

Aye, restoring with TB should be fine, as long as you have root. Glad you're sorted though. :)

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews