• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Seidio 1600mAh extended life battery

I am sorry. As it's pointless, and I can see that it probably is, I'll stop updating this.

Well i was interested.... I was looking to get the extended battery but will wait to see what info Jazz reports back with.
Thanks NineToTheSKy for the effort and info and thanks Celox for that very interesting breakdown . Maybe we need HTC to make an extended battery..

Upvote 0
With regard to enabling/disabling connectivity, I'm still not 100% clear on whether, if I leave both 3G & WiFi enabled, the 3G is turned off when it finds a WiFi connection. The 3G icon disappears from the status bar but does this mean it's as "turned off" as it would be if I did it manually or could I make additional power savings by switching it off myself?

Upvote 0
No idea, but I'd imagine once it's gone from the bar it's just off. It seems to take a moment to start up once you switch off wi-fi, so at a guess I'd say it's off, and that the option just tells the phone to switch it on when there's no wi-fi available.

Where is Jazzy Jeff with our update, I wonder?

HTC tell me that the info on their batteries is correct. No word from Seidio, though I suspect they might be less than forthcoming, especially since they're already aware of these tests...

Upvote 0
Where is Jazzy Jeff with our update, I wonder?

This is my response so far:
"I talked to the Product Team. Please let your customers know this
information:

Prior to using your new extended battery, please allow 8 hours for initial
charge time. Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges. Approved
chargers like OEM or Seidio chargers should be used."

Hence, why I have not really responded yet - I'm still pushing for a better answer. Bare with me, I am not quitting yet.

Upvote 0
This is my response so far:
"I talked to the Product Team. Please let your customers know this
information:

Prior to using your new extended battery, please allow 8 hours for initial
charge time. Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges. Approved
chargers like OEM or Seidio chargers should be used."

Hence, why I have not really responded yet - I'm still pushing for a better answer. Bare with me, I am not quitting yet.

Thank you Jazz . I'm very interested in this as it was one of the items on my wish list...

Upvote 0
Have people seen this: HTC DESIRE EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY - HTC Desire

It doesn't have specs yet, but might actually have higher capacity as it's bigger - of course you have to use their special back plate as well though, but might be good for when you know you won't be near a charger (i'm thinking festivals etc). Anyone used one like this? Are there other makes of oversized batteries for the desire?

Reactions: Haider and PawPaw
Upvote 0
Have people seen this: HTC DESIRE EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY - HTC Desire

It doesn't have specs yet, but might actually have higher capacity as it's bigger - of course you have to use their special back plate as well though, but might be good for when you know you won't be near a charger (i'm thinking festivals etc). Anyone used one like this

I'll be keeping an eye on this.
I bought a similar type for my Hero, it was twice the capacity and came with a perfect-fit rear battery cover...it does make the phone thicker but that's no bad thing in my opinion and it makes the phone feel a bit more substantial in the hand.

Upvote 0
I think the delay in getting a response on this tells its own story!

If they had anything to brag about it wouldn't be taking them a week to reply with something as simple as confirmation of the battery capacity, and they wouldn't be sending obfuscating messages like the one Jazz received.

They didn't reply to my very polite request for info at all.

Upvote 0
extendig the battery life sounds great. I make it through the day, if I'm not using my HTC desire non stop. But downloading apps, using GPS, playing flight director, listening to music... its only a few hours. I wanted to keep a spare charged battery in my bag in case I get stuck away from a power socket! Does anyone know how long a spare HTC (or other battery) would hold its charge?

Upvote 0
I think the delay in getting a response on this tells its own story!

If they had anything to brag about it wouldn't be taking them a week to reply with something as simple as confirmation of the battery capacity, and they wouldn't be sending obfuscating messages like the one Jazz received.

They didn't reply to my very polite request for info at all.
The response that Jazz quoted isn't much of a response: it's from the instruction sheet that comes with the battery. Word for word.

Upvote 0
Any result to report so far?
If that's me you're asking, the answer is no. And I'm afraid there won't be; at least not any that would be meaningful. To get a meaningful result, as it's impossible to replicate usage patterns, I'd have to fully charge the Seidio and leave the phone to completely discharge, without using anything on it, and then do the same with the standard battery. As that would mean not touching my phone for possibly four days, that's out of the question: I need it too much.

So I think the only sensible thing to say is: if you believe that official report, then the Seidio isn't worth buying. If you don't: then the choice is yours. For me, the best case scenario is that I've got a spare battery that might last longer; the worst is I've spent about

Reactions: chicgeek
Upvote 0
A simple way to compare the two batteries is to fully charge, then do something you can easily replicate AND that uses a lot of power.

For example:

Disable wifi, 3g, gps (because you cant ensure both test runs would use the same amount)
Put brightness on full
Play a movie - repeat till battery dead

Make a note of how long each lasted - I imagine it would only be 4-6 hours like this?

Upvote 0
As we haven't heard from Jazz for a while, I'm assuming that Seidio haven't got back to him, which suggests that they can't justify their claims. I mean - how long can it take for them to send him data proving that their battery does give 'extended' life? If the battery does what they're claiming, they would have the data to hand.

So, if the above is correct, the battery isn't as advertised, and MobileFun should correct their description of it, both what they imply, and what they state:
designed for the customer who needs extra life
There is one independent report that says the battery doesn't give extended life, and the manufacturer hasn't refuted it. Why?

Upvote 0
For my 4.5% I've got active wallpaper, brightness at 15%, wi-fi on about 60% of the time.

Your Wi-Fi consumes 60% of the whole battery drainage?
I don't remember I saw mine go over 20%. It's in a 13-15% range.

On the other hand, the System consumes up to 60%, display 15-16% (at the first notch of brightness as set with the HTC Power widget), cell standby at 13-15% and a phone standby at 2% rate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones