1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

'Select Input Method' Notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ciggy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

I am now using swype on my Nexus I have always loved this keyboard. For some reason in the keyboard option you are NOT ALLOWED to un-check the android keyboard. Which means it is always active -> which means every time you open the keyboard a notification comes up asking you to select input method.

While this goes away by itself when you close the keyboard I catch myself locking my phone with the kay board active often and seeing that little notification is making me angry. Any way to disable to stock keyboard, or anyway to disable the notification?

If i want to change the input method i have no problem visiting the settings page by myself without the help of an annoying notification.

dirtycar74 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

Hmm I'm running swype, I also have slideIt and another keyboard "active" other then the icon in the notification tray, i don't get any pop-ups...

edit: So your just concerned about the icon? in the tray? that's built into ICS as far as I know.

3. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

I am talking about the notification not a pop up. But it stays up there if i lock my phone and leave a keyboard open. Which is often, ill send a text then lock. I hate looking at that icon up there when I'm expecting an empty bar or notifications that matter (phone call, text, email) I just want the notification to stop.

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I didn't realize that notification was a stock rom glitch. I had it for awhile on my custom rom but the dev fixed it. So if you're staying stock, you may have to wait for the next update.

5. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

It's actually not a glitch! It's the ICS equivalent of a long press to change input method. Not a bad idea and I'm sure some like the option how ever, it should have an option to disable!

Mr. Link and Crashumbc like this.
  6. kr3w1

kr3w1 Newbie

i have noticed this too and it is extremely annoying. nobody has a fix/work around to change this?

7. s1ck s0n

s1ck s0n Member

bumpo! would like to know if anything ever became of this, that annoys the hell out of me.

8. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

I would also still like to know how to stop this notification :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

9. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by this.
    I use SwiftKey X and every time I'm typing, I see the little icon up in the notification bar.

Guess I'll just put up with it but I would think there would be some way to disable it...

10. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

There is currently no way to disable it on the stock system. I'm going to inquire about cyanogenmod possibly giving an option to diable.

11. s1ck s0n

s1ck s0n Member

I don't mind the icon while I'm typing, even though I never change my keyboard type, It just drives me crazy that it stays up there while the screen is locked.

12. HunterBrooke

HunterBrooke Well-Known Member

Swype here with stock GN, and I only have the icon while using ...

13. dirtycar74

dirtycar74 Newbie

I'm already using the input method I want! If I wanted to change it, I'd go to settings rather than the notification bar. I thought this was a device-specific issue, but apparently it's an ICS-wide issue. I enjoy the google voice-to-text button on the keyboard, hate swype (disabled it immediately), but just want that infernal notification to be gone. Any updates to this issue/resolution are much appreciated.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews