1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Selecting text using internet app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tatham, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tatham

tatham Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Seriously - if Android is going to be taken seriously, the small things need to work.

I chucked out my iPhone because I wanted to try Android. While I am generally happy with my Galaxy S2, something as small as the ability to select text on a web page using the Internet app is driving me crazy. It's crap - plain and simple - the way it currently works.

I tap and hold on text to bring up the selection tool so I can copy and paste, and instead the browser keeps asking me if I want to save the background image for the web page...! I mean, COME ON!

iPhone was simple for this - tap and hold and you are away.

ANy ideas for what I may be doing wrong would be gratefully accepted because I almost threw my Galaxy into the sea this morning and headed to the closest Apple store to get an iPhone 4.

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i assume ur using the stock web browser? many people complain about it. im not sure which one would suit ur needs best, and if these browsers support better copy/pasting text from webpages, but u could try installing a few other web browsers before u ditch the SGS2 :D
    dolphin HD and opera are the two most talked about browsers, from wat ive heard.. u could give em both a shot n see if they do wat u want em to. hope this helps

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

however, i just gave a shot at wat u just said (i use the stock browser coz i dont browse much on my phone :D) and it worked fine. long press, and the sliders appear, and i can select text and copy

4. kebark

kebark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    This guide mainly talks about Opera but it does mention the default browser too

5. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I had similar problems when using the stock browser. I found that zooming right into the text before I long pressed helped.