1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Selective autosync: gmail and calendar, but not contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Diabo, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Diabo

Diabo Member

The built-in sync option can be useful (when it works), but it syncs too much.

Is there a way to make it sync my mail and calendar, but NOT my contacts list?

elviscatalan likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Settings->Accounts and sync, select the account and adjust as desired.

3. Diabo

Diabo Member

That doesn't work on my phone. Settings->Accounts and sync only lets me do a manual sync of the calendar or gmail (or contacts), but it won't let me configure any autosync options.

Maybe that's an option in Froyo, but my Motorola Defy runs 2.1 and motorola is slow with updates. And because my phone came with version 2.51.1 (firmware 2.1-update1) out of the box I can't even root it or install an unofficial Froyo :(

4. Diabo

Diabo Member

Selective autosync doesn't work in Froyo either. I can either autosync everything or nothing. If I only want to sync my calendar but not mail or contacts I have to do it manually.

Is this fixed in Gingerbread? Or Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich? Will it be fixed in Jelly Pie, Kahlua Mousse, Lemon Custard, Mango Kulfi, New York Super Fudge Chunk Ice Cream, Orange Cr

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

It's possibly in a different place on your phone. On mine, this option was there before, during, and after Froyo. Not sure why you wouldn't have it, unless Motorola removed it.

6. Diabo

Diabo Member

I found it.

Disable autosync once and the autosync checkboxes disappear from the account manager. They won't come back unless you take a trip to the slums of Motoblurred Android.

I managed to repair selective autosync by launching Any Cut. It had three account & sync settings "activities." Two of them made my phone reboot, but number three had the option for selective autosync that was missing from the normal settings screens. Once I set up autosync in the hidden screen it returned to the normal accounts app.

Maybe it's a Motorola thing, maybe it's a general Android bug.