• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sell me on Android

angusg

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
Hey hey, n00b here..

As the title says, I can't decide between waiting for the 3Gs or grabbing a HTC Magic now.

Here's what I've posted on another forum I post on

Biggest setbacks for me is:

- I use a Mac, of which the iPhone is a more obvious choice
- I have a repository of free + paid iPhone apps from when I had a Touch
- Lack of 3.5mm (Although doesn't cupcake support A2DP??? Problem solved)
- Apps library isn't strong yet

The stuff I do like...
- Seamless sync with Google Apps, gmail, contacts, callendar etc.
- Google's services are free (I'm trialing Mobile Me atm and it's shit. $120 for something Google does better for free... Mobile Me won't even sync your Outlook data if you run Exchange wtf???)
- Open Source
- Scroll ball thing... makes for one handed operation

My biggest questions
- How's the media player?? How do I get music on there?? Does it have an annoying 1 second gap between songs??
- Realistically how is it as a PDA?? Task lists etc?? iPhone works great except for the lack of a daily dashboard view...

A big drawcard is I can get one right now... Been without a smart phone/mp3 player for a couple of months now, I need to get something sorted (even if the iPhone is only a couple of weeks away)

Hey hey, n00b here..

As the title says, I can't decide between waiting for the 3Gs or grabbing a HTC Magic now.

The stuff I do like...
- Google's services are free (I'm trialing Mobile Me atm and it's shit. $120 for something Google does better for free... Mobile Me won't even sync your Outlook data if you run Exchange wtf???)
- Open Source

My biggest questions
- How's the media player?? How do I get music on there?? Does it have an annoying 1 second gap between songs??
- Realistically how is it as a PDA?? Task lists etc?? iPhone works great except for the lack of a daily dashboard view...

A big drawcard is I can get one right now... Been without a smart phone/mp3 player for a couple of months now, I need to get something sorted (even if the iPhone is only a couple of weeks away)

It comes down to this.

Are you using or will you be using alot of the Google applications? If so, Android is a great choice.

Additionally, if you are willing to tinker with your phone a bit (rooting,etc) you can pretty much make the OS do whatever you want it to, it's really, really flexible.

The media is placed on the SD card, of which that is swappable... ie, you want more storage? you just go get another SD card...

Any other questions? :p

Upvote 0
I use Mac as well and that is why I got both iPhone 2G and 3G for what seems to be the best choice for a Mac user. However, after using the iPhone 3G for a while. I just cannot live with it due to the poor battery performance. I am a heavy user on both voice and data and a full charged iPhone cannot least more than 6 hours top. Further more, the old OS ( Now the new one 3.0 has it already.) have no Copy, cut and paste and which is the biggest draw back since I need to forward and relay some or all part of message to my client and no way I can do it on the iPhone. So I go out and changed my phone to HTC HD, WM6 based device and I do have some trouble in the beginning to sync it with a Mac but sorted it out with exchange. Then this new Magic comes and when I got it. It is so fast, lot better than old WM UI and it sync with Mac Address book, iCal with no issues at all. I am highly recommend it for Mac user to take a deep look of this phone.

Hey hey, n00b here..

The stuff I do like...
- Open Source

My biggest questions

Upvote 0
One more thing, I am not syncing it with exchange just google. I have try exchange and it works but google contact and Calendar is free and exchange services is not.

I use Mac as well and that is why I got both iPhone 2G and 3G for what seems to be the best choice for a Mac user. However, after using the iPhone 3G for a while. I just cannot live with it due to the poor battery performance. I am a heavy user on both voice and data and a full charged iPhone cannot least more than 6 hours top. Further more, the old OS ( Now the new one 3.0 has it already.) have no Copy, cut and paste and which is the biggest draw back since I need to forward and relay some or all part of message to my client and no way I can do it on the iPhone. So I go out and changed my phone to HTC HD, WM6 based device and I do have some trouble in the beginning to sync it with a Mac but sorted it out with exchange. Then this new Magic comes and when I got it. It is so fast, lot better than old WM UI and it sync with Mac Address book, iCal with no issues at all. I am highly recommend it for Mac user to take a deep look of this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones