• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Selling a rooted lte..tips?

i.have.droid

Android Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2010
I think my days with sprint are over. Im really sick of always having the worst reception, battery drain, delayed texts, super choppy phone..etc. id love to get on a network with a better data plan, and reception that actually works in my apartment.

Anyway, my evo is not s-off, just unlocked and has hboot version 1.12. What should i do before i sell it?

Also, any tips for getting the lowest disconnect fee? I have been a great paying customer for years..should i go to the new carier first? Im choosing between at&t and verizon.

I think my days with sprint are over. Im really sick of always having the worst reception, battery drain, delayed texts, super choppy phone..etc. id love to get on a network with a better data plan, and reception that actually works in my apartment.

Anyway, my evo is not s-off, just unlocked and has hboot version 1.12. What should i do before i sell it?

Also, any tips for getting the lowest disconnect fee? I have been a great paying customer for years..should i go to the new carier first? Im choosing between at&t and verizon.

It depends on where you live. Sprint coverage is quite OK in my area. I have the SERO plan and for $50, it is so awsome and others cost 40% more.

Upvote 0
yeah, I'm probably gonna jump onto my mom's plan on at&t and get the galaxy note 2. the draw of unlimited data is just useless to me as I've gone over my past bills and I've never once gone over 3gb of data in a month, so paying half price and having solid 3g, hspa+, AND lte coverage for half the monthly cost is just too enticing. plus samsung has been really good about releasing source lately, a huge htc failure

as to selling your ltevo, you could go ahead and get it fully s-off, or not. the important thing is that you keep the 1.12 bootloader. anybody interested in a rooted device will want to be able to achieve s-off for ease of bootloader installs for future updates of radios, pris, boot.img etc

Upvote 0
If you were s-off those phones usually get a premium over stock phones but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an htcdev unlocked phones gets less than stock. Personally I wouldn't buy a phone that was already watermarked as being unlocked. I agree with above, either s-off it to sell or put it back to stock.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think keeping the 1.12 Hboot is important.
If you sell it on Ebay or even Craigslist I'd mention that it is the only hboot that can be S-off'ed.
I just went to look at a phone that was brand new for sale on Craig's. The first thing I did was check the Hboot. It was 1.12. It was hard to contain my excitement and still try to beat the guy up on price.

But I bought it so I have a back up.:D

He didn't know what he had.

You do so use it to your advantage.
Actually I'll give you $100 for it.:D

Naters

Upvote 0
If you were s-off those phones usually get a premium over stock phones but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an htcdev unlocked phones gets less than stock. Personally I wouldn't buy a phone that was already watermarked as being unlocked. I agree with above, either s-off it to sell or put it back to stock.

Agree which is why I made the thread..lol.

I think I would rather put it back to stock. I dont see anyone locally adding more value since the phone is rooted. I can do that already by just selling my 8gb card with it.

Just so you all know, using the Mean ROM, Stock..etc I have the same problem - my apps keep restarting in the background and slowing down the phone over and over. It is torture. I close as many as I can, but it keeps happening.

the main issue is Sprint..they never did a few things they promised and their network is truly awful. I could make peace with this phone, but at the same time I have spent 3 years with Droid and 2 with iOS, and for me personally there is no comparison.

It seems like relocking the bootloader is not the best way as it will still say that the phone is tampered. That sucks as most people will think of that as malicious.

Should I do a full root? uggh..these things are why I am over the android phones.

Upvote 0
Agree which is why I made the thread..lol.

I think I would rather put it back to stock. I dont see anyone locally adding more value since the phone is rooted. I can do that already by just selling my 8gb card with it.

Just so you all know, using the Mean ROM, Stock..etc I have the same problem - my apps keep restarting in the background and slowing down the phone over and over. It is torture. I close as many as I can, but it keeps happening.

the main issue is Sprint..they never did a few things they promised and their network is truly awful. I could make peace with this phone, but at the same time I have spent 3 years with Droid and 2 with iOS, and for me personally there is no comparison.

It seems like relocking the bootloader is not the best way as it will still say that the phone is tampered. That sucks as most people will think of that as malicious.

Should I do a full root? uggh..these things are why I am over the android phones.
You could go S-Off and run Regaw's bootloader customizer to make it all "look" stock locked and all. :D

Upvote 0
Yes..so lazy panda and then regaw?

I will look into that for sure.

My promise to this nice community is I will come back and report my experiences when I switch carriers and get the new iphone. I am not a biased tech person so I will gladly admit if I hate the thing. I think my demands are much more suited for the iphone, but I have to say for anyone wanting a droid, this LTE is probably the King.

I am really disappointed with the slow and choppiness the past 3 weeks. I have tweaked it, ROMd it..etc, but its still very very slow right now. Drives me crazy.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add that I see the issue and cant fix it. Basically it says I have 68MB free in the running apps section of settings. Well Maps was taking the majority of that, and I froze it just as a test. I then froze Mr. Number. I have 1 other call blocker that I am messing with that I will freeze (says it is restarting over and over), but I installed it after these problems surfaced..I have Kik Messenger taking 7.4 megs and the rest is just stock Droid apps. So not that much..yet it is taking 618 megs of RAM....weird??

EDIT - froze Facebook, call blockers..everything and it is still slow. It shows google drive for a second and then disappears..every app is restarting over and over..this is really odd..what could be taking all this RAM?

Upvote 0
If you sell it on Ebay or even Craigslist I'd mention that it is the only hboot that can be S-off'ed.
I just went to look at a phone that was brand new for sale on Craig's. The first thing I did was check the Hboot. It was 1.12. It was hard to contain my excitement and still try to beat the guy up on price.

Naters

$100..lol. try $325 paypal and its yours ;)

Upvote 0
$100..lol. try $325 paypal and its yours ;)

Well the resale value on this phone sucks. I have not gotten one bite yet, so I guess the price will have to keep dropping :( .

Extremely pleased with the iphone 5. It truly is an amazing device. Really happy I made the switch. for anyone on the fence, the i5 is just simply amazing. super super fast and never glitches, lags or has battery issues. I only have to charge mine every other day and I use it more than my Evo.

Upvote 0

Naters

Lol @ $100 that'd be an insult :cool:

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
Well the resale value on this phone sucks. I have not gotten one bite yet, so I guess the price will have to keep dropping :( .

Extremely pleased with the iphone 5. It truly is an amazing device. Really happy I made the switch. for anyone on the fence, the i5 is just simply amazing. super super fast and never glitches, lags or has battery issues. I only have to charge mine every other day and I use it more than my Evo.
Where are you selling this phone?

Upvote 0
Hey guys I am selling it on Craigs. $400 would be awesome. I really expected $300. I should market it more as an s-off phone like you are saying.

But yeah, Ebay is going to happen soon if I cant move it. Nice to see you guys are getting good prices. That is encouraging. Sounds like I need to tweak my ad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones