1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Selling a rooted phone with a custom ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by hatthewmartley, Jan 23, 2016.

1. hatthewmartley

Hello all,

Been an Android user for many years but only started looking into rooting/flashing etc. very recently. I am very, very noob with it all so please bear with me.

Last night (after many hurdles) I was successful in loading the Cyanogenmod 12 onto my HTC M8 mini 2. I love it, very slick. However, I plan to upgrade my phone in around 6 months so I'm just curios as to the conditions on selling a rooted phone with a custom ROM? The few I have found on eBay seem to sell for a higher price than a stock device but I'm just unsure on the legality of it, so any help would be appreciated.

Again, I am pure noob with all of this so apologies for any naivety! And thanks in advance :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Perfectly legal to sell a rooted phone with a custom ROM, just make sure you state that clearly in the item description. :)

tube517 and Slug like this.
  3. hatthewmartley

Thank you mikedt :)

mikedt likes this.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

As Mike has already said, a rooted phone is perfectly legal. Presumably it was purchased and used here in the UK, so it's already passed all necessary regulatory checks - rooting doesn't invalidate these. You've nothing to worry about. :)

Be sure to describe it accurately i.e. which ROM and recovery are installed, and naturally ensure it's factory-reset before handing it over.

5. Swappa might be a better place to sell it than Ebay as it's a phone-specific marketplace where the sellers and devices are verified, also potential buyers would probably be more knowledgeable about what they were looking at.
    You would still, as already mentioned, need to be very specific about the phone's status and modifications.
    Even with a full description on Ebay it's not unusual for people to skim over it and make the purchase not realizing what they are buying, leading to headaches for the seller.

KOLIO and tube517 like this.
  6. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Yes, Swappa is a good recommendation. They even have a section that the seller can enter any rooting/rom info for the buyer to see.

KOLIO likes this.