1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Selling my EVO have questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sk8er88, Nov 9, 2010.

1. sk8er88

sk8er88 New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    So I am selling my EVO most likely on Ebay because they are going for good chunks of change right now. I switched To Tmobile and am now rocking the MyTouch 4, which is pretty sweet so far.

My question is can I just format the SD Card and maybe use a program like Spybot Secure Shredder to rewrite the card 6 times and feel my data is safe? I did a wipe of the phone expecting it to wipe the card and the phone as well, but when I hooked it up with USB and looked through it I saw records of all the games I had downloaded as well as all the pictures on there, which was a bit surprising to me expecting a factory reset would also wipe that....

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I think you have to format the sd card via the menu in phone (menu.settings.security.format sd card) or via a card reader. and yes using one of those programs is a great idea...i don't know that you need to do it 6 times...but i know i have used several free programs to retrieve previously deleted information from sd cards

3. n0really

n0really Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    If you are truly worried about someone recovering your files, get a new card and place it in the phone. That is the most definitive way of preventing data leakage.

4. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ditto, new card and a factory reset and you're good to go.

5. sk8er88

sk8er88 New Member

Nov 9, 2010

I did find those options but they were greyed out, so ixnay on that, but I think that it'll be fine, just navigating through the phone I see a list of all applications that I had used, but non were paid, and none contained my information.

As far replacing the SD card, that is a good option, if I sell it on Ebay I may go that route, if I sell it to someone locally, maybe I'll just format it myself.

The other part of the question I almost posted was could I take the SD card and out and completely wipe all data from it? There's a ton of directories, but I wouldn't imagine important system directories would be on the SD card, but would instead be on the phone.

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I am pretty sure I tested this when I first got the phone and it recreated those directories.

Tags: