1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root semi-bricked G2 (Visionary) -- HELP PLS!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mario310, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mario310

Mario310 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    I tried to use the visionary method to root my g2 in android 2.2 How To: Gain Permanent Root and S-OFF on the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision | TheUnlockr

when I put in the dd hboot line into terminal, nothing happened, so I rebooted the phone and now it is stuck at the white HTC screen
    when I hold volume button down and power up, screen shows S-ON, and didn't recognize the PC10img

I tried to load the stock PC10img and everything stock but it says "Main Version is older!"

I also tried using hex editor to change the misc.img version to 1..19.531.1, but it was already set at that version(??), then I tried making the version 1.22.531.8, and still didnt work

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

IVXX likes this.
  2. No_Nickname90

No_Nickname90 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Who? Stun?
    Something similar happened to me when I was rooting my friend's Evo. Apparently, I had erased his whole ROM and needed to flash a new one, which is why nothing loaded when I turned the phone on.

Now the problem with you is that you have S-On. I don't know if anything will actually work, since I just flashed things, and had S-Off.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Permanent Root with Visionary/gfree (No ADB Required)
    ^The link above is the PC10Img I used to flash my phone (HTC G2) back to it's original state.

Keep in mind that it flashes to the HTC Vision, so if you have the G2, like me, the phone gets recognized as the HTC Vision, and not the HTC G2. There isn't a problem with anything, like loading ROMs and all that. It's all the same and everything. I still did the root method as if I had the G2, so don't worry about that. Just worry about it if dealing with any Warranty issues.

Another thing is, I highly suggest you use the ADB method to root your phone. I used the Visionary method, but it didn't work. My phone didn't tempRoot, meaning I couldn't PermRoot. When I switched to the ADB method, my phone would partially TempRoot, meaning I had S-Off but no root access. After I flashed that PC10Img, everything worked fine.

I think Visionary messes up some people's phone. I know it's kinda hard getting the drivers for ADB, but once you do it, it's easy to get your phone rooted.

What happens when you go into recovery mode? If you have clockwork recovery, maybe you can flash the stock ROM. Since you have S-On, I'm not to sure on what you'll be able to do. I know that ADB can still recognize the phone when you load it into that (Vol + Home) mode. I'm not sure what it's called, but you know how to get there. You can basically get S-Off on your phone using ADB from there. From there, flashing the PC10Img should work fine.

I know I'm not that much help, but yea... As long as you can get into that mode, you're not bricked, so don't worry. You're just ROMless. LoL!!

IVXX and Mario310 like this.
  3. Mario310

Mario310 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    okay so with the pc10img file you gave me I don't have the "Main version is older" problem anymore, how do I flash using it? sorry for the noob questions

Also when I go to recovery, it goes to a black screen with a pic of a phone, and a red "!"

IVXX likes this.
  4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    work for the man.
    TEXAS
    You flash a pc10img through Hboot it will see it and ask if you want to install it.

Mario310 likes this.
  5. No_Nickname90

No_Nickname90 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Who? Stun?
    Dude, I'm still a newb at this too. LoL!!

Anyways, when you start the phone holding Power, and volume-down key. It'll take you to the HBoot screen, and the phone will load the image file by itself. It'll ask you if you wanna update, and say yes. It'll factory reset the phone, but I don't think that's a problem now.

And the triangle thing, that's the stock recovery. Nothing to worry about. After you successfully root, you'll be able get ClockworkMod, and next time you go to recovery mode, it'll be clockworkMod. Getting ClockwordMod is part of the Root method, so yea. At least it was part of the gfree method.

If you can get your phone on, after you root, download ROM manager, and just flash clockworkMod. There's an option to "Flash ClockwordMod" so don't worry about the difficulty there.

6. Joe Dirt

None

Sep 1, 2010
    work for the man.
    TEXAS
  7. Mario310

Mario310 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    it worked! thanks a billion!

IVXX likes this.
  8. Joe Dirt

None

Sep 1, 2010
    work for the man.
    TEXAS
    you won't be able to root for awhile. But at least your phone now works.

9. Mario310

Mario310 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    haha yeah I think after this experience I wont root again

IVXX likes this.
  10. IVXX

IVXX Lurker
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    Ok i downloaded the file but i get the "Main Version is older!" message...so what do i do now? I tried both download links in this thread the other one said failed to verify whole package?!?

Tags: