• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Semi bricked Magic needs revival

Arneby

Lurker
May 5, 2010
Hi!

I've got here a white HTC Magic of the none branded at all version.

It is semi bricked in the sense (pun!) that the only thing that happens when I start it is this:
-----------------------------------
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP-S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.76.0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.08.29
DEC 8 2009, 17:38:48

RUU
-----------------------------------

And the symbol of crossed over EPROM at the bottom. No skating Androids or any androids at all.

I understand that a firmware is missing here. Problem is that I can not use (or even download) any of the official HTCs firmwares based on my serial number.

Now, what can I do to get this handset working? At this point there is no need to jailbreak it or anything such. I just want to get it working with any SIM card.

Please advice.

--Gunnar

I had the exact same problem very recently. Breath a sigh of relief, you are not bricked. One method that should work is to use a goldcard (search on xda-developers if you haven't made one already, but judging by the problem, I suspect you have one already! ;) ) and run the Rogers RUU "RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_2.17.631.2_release_signed _NoDriver.exe". That will at least get the phone in a runnable state.

From there rooting is a breeze (relatively speaking). Not sure if you can run any RUU you want to use to fix it, but using the Rogers RUU fixed my phone from that same state just last night.

If you need anything else, or need some clarification, let me know.

Reactions: victor85
Upvote 0
Thank you!

But when I read on theunlockr.com how to create a Gold Card it seems that I need a working phone of the same type to preformat the SD card.
This poses a problem for me as the only phone I've got is semi bricked :)

Can I somehow make a Gold Card directly on my Mac or Win box?

--Gunnar

Upvote 0
Thank you!

But when I read on theunlockr.com how to create a Gold Card it seems that I need a working phone of the same type to preformat the SD card.

Ah... right... I forgot about that small aspect. I have no idea if you'll be able to crate a goldcard with the phone in it's current state.

I can suggest that the best place to find out is xda-developers

Go to the Forum and scroll down to find the "HTC Sapphire: MT3G, Magic" section and search around/post in the "Developers" sub-forum. The level of knowledge in that forum is staggering!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem and my phone's Recovery and Fastboot got somehow messed. I had my goldcard corrupted. I re-created the gold card using computer. Format it with FAT32 and update using Hex editor. You need the goldcard.img though. I had it. I belive gold card created from another phone works in this also, since its just 'card' dependent and not 'phone'

Upvote 0
I had the exact same problem very recently. Breath a sigh of relief, you are not bricked. One method that should work is to use a goldcard (search on xda-developers if you haven't made one already, but judging by the problem, I suspect you have one already! ;) ) and run the Rogers RUU "RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_2.17.631.2_release_signed _NoDriver.exe". That will at least get the phone in a runnable state.

From there rooting is a breeze (relatively speaking). Not sure if you can run any RUU you want to use to fix it, but using the Rogers RUU fixed my phone from that same state just last night.

If you need anything else, or need some clarification, let me know.

Thank you COOL, i just face the problem just now, and i called to HTC Malaysia, they said they is no other way to fix this problem, but your post is giving me a good and big support.
thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones