• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Semi noob wanting to get deeper into rooting

Sep 20, 2013
Hey guys, i'm semi new to rooting as i've only rooted 3 phones now and don't know a whole lot of what I can do once rooted. My latest root is the Motorola Droid X first gen. All I've done so far is root it, downloaded root check, root explorer, disk gigger, rom manager, and rom toolbox. Now Ive heard a lot about custom roms and flashing and I see cyanogen mod thrown around a lot and am curious as to how, why, and what can and do these terms mean to me. Also, I really don't see the need in keeping all the bloat ware that came on this phone and would like to get rid of it! Anyone wanna tutor a possible up and comer in the root and design game?

1) To get rid of bloat, get Link2SD. Freeze any app you consider bloat. Run the phone for about a week. If any problems show up, you can unfreeze the app. Then freeze the next one, and so on. Once you have all the apps that don't cause a problem frozen you can uninstall them. (Don't forget to clear cache and data on any app before you uninstall it.)

2) As far as ROMS go, most of what most people change ROMs for can be done by installing apps. You don't like the look of your homepages? You want more than one 5-app row on the bottom? Install a different launcher.

You don't like the text app? The KitKat text app (Messaging) is available for download. You don't like the wallpaper? Change it. (Mine is almost always to do with the nearest holiday or event - it's now the back of a dollar bill, in memory of the ones Uncle Sam is going to take from me on April 15th.)

Install Xposed and look at some of the modules it has available (look on the website - there are a lot more than what the app shows). You can do a lot with it that would take a new theme, or even a new ROM, to do.

But if there's a ROM you really want, install a custom recovery first - TWRP is easy to use. Back up your current ROM. Then flash the new one. If, after trying it, you don't like it, back it up (you never know how you'll feel next month) and restore the backup of the original. About the only reason I see for changing ROMs is that the new ROM gives me something that the old one didn't, that I want, and that I can't get from an app. Otherwise it's like getting your car repainted - it's new lipstick on the same old pig.

Reactions: CheshireTeaCat
Upvote 0
Reactions: CheshireTeaCat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones