• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Semi Permanant Root Shell

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2011
If you get temp root with Kingo

you can use adb shell to install a backdoor

this was found by jcase for the ZTE ZMAX a while ago

Get root with Kingo, dont reboot
Make sure you have adb on you computer

adb shell
su
setprop persist.sys.k Z958

now if the phone is rebooted you can still get root using adb shell

you will not be able to do to much with this, but for those that want to play around, here it is

just note that the system partition is write protected unless you are booted from the recovery partition
the bootloader requires the boot.img and recovery.img to be signed, so no TWRP or CWM
flashing the boot.img to the recovery partition does not work like it did on the ZMAX

so you do not have any options except a boot loader unlock

maybe with the root shell someone can find something

Last edited:
sorry for the caps, they are not yelling, just stressing that it is important
Is there any way you can post like a guide because I tried everything with the adb shell following jcase's post of this root method and I keep getting "permission denied" and when I boot it into recovery as it says in the guide it says "error: device closed" or "error: device not found"
I would gladly appreciate it because it is annoying having to root the phone over and over again with KingoRoot PC after rebooting.
Thanks ;)

Upvote 0
Is there any way you can post like a guide because I tried everything with the adb shell following jcase's post of this root method and I keep getting "permission denied" and when I boot it into recovery as it says in the guide it says "error: device closed" or "error: device not found"
I would gladly appreciate it because it is annoying having to root the phone over and over again with KingoRoot PC after rebooting.
Thanks ;)

i can do a team viewer session and set it up for you, I am not in a mood to be writing guides

Upvote 0
here are some sister phones, that you guys could team up with, to find stuff

gift = Z936L = lever
lol = Z958 = zmax 2
sunny = Z818L = Allstar
sungod = Z819L = Stratos
xuantan = Z813 = Overture 2
max = N9521= Boost MAX+
sif = Z850 = Grand X 2
warp6 = N9518 = Warp Elite

all these phones use the same kernel source

I actually flashed the Warp Elite recovery image to my recovery partition and it booted

the Warp Elite has some people trying to gain root, so you can keep an eye on them

http://androidforums.com/forums/root-zte-warp-elite.3259/

Reactions: Heckerpead
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones