1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Semi rooted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaredthegeek, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jaredthegeek

jaredthegeek Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I drive a truck.
    The Chenango Triangle
    Well, yesterday I took the plunge, pushed rage.bin to my phone and ran it. What a nice little fork bomb, took about 15 minutes! Now when I run adb shell I get a nice little hash mark prompt :) Haven't uploaded su/busybox or Superuser.apk but that will come.

I'm somewhat curious though, how much of a sandbox does Dalvik run in? Any chance the same local root exploit that gave me root could be executed by a (non native) app to do something evil? I'm guessing that rage.bin is native code and not Dalvik bytecode...

Advertisement

2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    NJ
    i dont know the full technical linux reasoning and such, but as far as I know root doesnt allow apps just to take over your system. You still have to give individual permission to any app d/led or pushed to your phone.

thankfully (atm anyway) there arent THAT many malicious android apps out there. there was some controversy with a wallpaper app sending info to china or something a few months ago, but that was later debunked.

really anything you get from the market *should* be completely safe (even root apps), just anything you find from random sites on the internet always has the potential to not have your best of intentions at heart :(

anything you d get in here, xda, or the irc channel is pretty legit though.