• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Sena Ultraslim-Like Case

humungus

May 23, 2010
I'm uncertain if Sena will make Ultraslim cases for the X, but I've found something similar. It'll protect against scratches but it's thin enough to not add bulk. It's not ultrasuede (synthetic) and not leather (which is a plus for me). It's got a good bit less design than the Sena, but it's also 1/3 of the price at just $10 (plus $2 shipping). There's also a version with a pocket on it so you can ditch your wallet and keep your cards with your phone.

Waterfield Suede Case

This sounds promising, does anyone own one of these for the X or any other phone? Does it slide in and out of your pocket easily (no sticking/rubbery texture)?

One of my favorite things about the Sena UltraSlim was the ability to easily retrieve it from my pocket because the leather was somewhat "slick", if this case works similarly, I will probably pick one up. The pocket might be a nice feature as well, although I most likely would not add one due to extra bulk.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and ordered one. I figured there isn't much to lose for $12 including shipping and no tax. If I like it, it was a much cheaper solution than the Sena UltraSlim. If I don't, I wait until Sena releases the UltraSlim for the X and still have a screen cleaner and temporary case for a pretty affordable price. I'd rather have it now and keep the phone protected than wait for the UltraSlim and have scratches.

Also, I installed a Steinheil Ultra Crystal for my X yesterday, and really like it so far. Feels a little rubbery/orange peelish at first, but that went away after about 15 minutes of use and now it feels more slick and smooth than the screen IMO. Does not reduce clarity one bit, may even enhance it, and fingerprints are much less noticeable. It will be nice to have a suede microfiber case because it will clean off the screen protector while in my pocket!

Upvote 0
Also, I installed a Steinheil Ultra Crystal for my X yesterday, and really like it so far. Feels a little rubbery/orange peelish at first, but that went away after about 15 minutes of use and now it feels more slick and smooth than the screen IMO. Does not reduce clarity one bit, may even enhance it, and fingerprints are much less noticeable. It will be nice to have a suede microfiber case because it will clean off the screen protector while in my pocket!

I have the Steinheil sitting on my dining room table and will be installed tonight! Any pointers you my want to share to what I've already gotten from others?
And like you, wanting the same case...but it looks like Sena is in no hurry to design on. this look like a good alternative.

Upvote 0
Went ahead and ordered one. I figured there isn't much to lose for $12 including shipping and no tax. If I like it, it was a much cheaper solution than the Sena UltraSlim. If I don't, I wait until Sena releases the UltraSlim for the X and still have a screen cleaner and temporary case for a pretty affordable price. I'd rather have it now and keep the phone protected than wait for the UltraSlim and have scratches.

I ordered this case as well (actually I ordered one each for my wife and me). I've also got the Steinheil, so it looks like we've got the same setup. The case material is supposed to be suede-like, so hopefully it'll go in and come out of pockets easily. I got the one with a pocket on the side. I only carry a small money clip (with a side that holds cards) already, and I'm thinking this might help to further reduce my load. I'm hoping that the cards in the pocket can be pushed down past the hump on the phone so that the total width isn't increased. We'll see how it works I suppose. Anyway, I figured that if the pocket was too annoying I could either cut it off or simply get another one because they're so cheap.

Upvote 0
I actually got mine in earlier this week - figured for $10 was worth a shot. It does the job of providing some protection in the pocket, and fits nicely without any extra bulk. It won't protect much if it were dropped though...
Also - the material does tend to "stick" to the inside of the pocket, so usually after pulling out of the pocket you will have to replace your now inside out pocket.
Finally, just in case anyone was wondering, there is no real "form" to this bag. It's simply a bag or cover that has no real cushioning...just some thoughts for those looking into this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones