1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Send Text Messages from your PC, to your Android?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ArmageddonX, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    Is there a way to type and send Text Messages from your PC?

I was on the Android Market online (Market.Android.Com) and I started thinking; If I can send instructions to my phone remotely, could I send a Text from my PC to my phone and then my phone would send it to the recipient?

Might be a cool idea. Like "Android Messenger" for the PC. Send and Receive Text Messages from your PC.

Thoughts?

Maybe this could be a future Google+ feature?

Advertisement

2. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
  3. ArmageddonX

None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    Is this a Sprint.com feature? Or do I download a Sprint program? Can I also receive them?

4. dylo22

None

Apr 19, 2010
    No you don't need to download anything. You can use any email client like gmail, yahoo, etc... send an email with the phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com (replace "phonenumber" with your cell number) as the address and you'll recieve the message as text on your phone.

All carriers have this feature:
    Verizon - phonenumber@vtext.com.
    Tmobile - phonenumber@tmomail.net
    AT&T - phonenumber@txt.att.net

Note, your messages are subjected to sms's 160 characters. If you go over that I think the message will get cut off. I don't think it extends to a second text message.

5. ArmageddonX

None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    Ahh, so it's a one-way thing. I understand.

I was looking for, or imagining, more of a synchronous two-way means of sending text messages on the PC with our Androids similar to the way messenger programs work.

6. dylo22

None

Apr 19, 2010
    It is two ways, but it's not a messenger type of program you looking for. You can reply to the text and the sender will get an email back.

For a more synchronous means of doing this, you can use google voice. Their web interface allows you to send text and recieve messages back almost like an instant messager type of program.

7. guyver_dio

guyver_dio Member
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Systems Developer
    Queensland, Australia
    Remote web desktop will do this, just search that in the market. Once it's installed you open it and tell it to start the server, it will give you a link to go to. You go to that link and you can control your phone like send txt messages and use your phone's camera like a webcam and stuff.

But there's probably a more specific one for just txting.

8. AxelsHumanDad

AxelsHumanDad Newbie
    None

MyPhoneExplorer does it in a small window, exactly like an instant messenger i.e. yahoo messenger etc. I do it all the time here at my desk. much easier than the big thumbs+little keyboard dance.:D

9. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Google Voice does this though it's not quite what the OP is asking for. I can send and receive SMS via my GV number from any PC connected to the internet. I don't even need my device.

10. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I also use GV for this. While not exactly what the OP is looking for, if your phone is enabled with GV, the recipient will see it as a text from which ever number is primary. This can be your Sprint number or your GV number.

However, GV does do a hostile take over of your phone and SMS usage. If you use Go SMS or Handcent, you have to muck around with GV settings so that SMS goes through 3rd party apps instead of GV. Also, GV is incapable of MMS (multimedia messages), so a messager app is needed for some stuff. As is your Sprint number, even if you have your GV number as primary (as I do, but I don't often receive/send MMS...There's FB and email for that).