1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support sending or receiving MMS kills network?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by codezer0, Sep 20, 2017.

1. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

Okay, so this is peculiar, but I'm hoping other people here might know what might be going on, or what I can do about it.

So, I'm running Resurrection Remix 5.8.2 presently on my SM-N900 Note 3 here, whose bootloader is still on OC3 last I checked. Other than increased battery use, the deep settings and functioning Magisk really make it an excellent rom for my needs. But one puzzling thing came when I started sending and receiving texts and picture messages. Simply put, when I am either sending, or receiving, picture (MMS) messages, it's like I suddenly lose data connection, and can't do anything online until it is able to somehow finish, and even then, it sometimes more or less requires a reboot before I can use data again.

I have to wonder what I might be able to do to fix it. I'm aware that there is a 5.8.4 build, but not really having enough time at this time to go wipe the phone, update, and rebuild apps accordingly. However, I also saw at least on SamMobile, that Samsung finally deigned worthy to provide a newer build for this phone. Still only Android 5, but it features a newer bootloader. Would that also update/patch/improve the phone's modem in any meaningful way? I can't think of any reason why Samsung would take so late to push a new OTA update for this phone, unless to like do something like patch bootloader or baseband (I don't know for certain, i'm just inferring). Still, if it is worth, I would just need a game plan to go ahead and update that, then return back to Res Remix and all that rooted goodness.

So, anything I could do on my end to maybe fix this behavior?

Advertisement

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Which texting app are you using and who is your carrier?

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I've never heard of that problem with Samsung phones before, so I'd suggest it is indeed a bug in that custom ROM, and the fix is to change to a ROM that works correctly. Although what texting app are you using, try another app, and who is your carrier?

tube517 likes this.
  4. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

Just the stock messaging app, and T-Mobile.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.