• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sending pics via messaging

pippin65

Jan 11, 2010
hi, so far I love my sprint hero, but am on the fence about sprint itself. tons of people have told me how they hated sprints service, customer service, etc...
my wife and I thought the ability to send pics via messaging is a cool feature however it doesn't appear to work all that well...
have tried the built in and also handcent messaging... am connected currently via my wifi at home and that doesn't help either. i realize there are probably size restrictions ( size anyone) but it should work sometimes. also the voice record feature on handsentend feature doesn't work either... any tips or tricks would be appreciated...:eek:

I'm also having trouble sending pictures. The message I get is that it's saying the file is too large to send. I'm a little confused because especially with the technology we have nowadays, and the fact that this is a smart phone, don't you think if it can take a picture on the phone, that it will send the picture??? Or at least automatically resize it to a sending size??? I text pictures back and forth all the time to friends, but every time I want to send a picture, I have to go and open PicSay and load the pic in there and send it. That's kind of a hassle for a brand new phone with "loads" of technology. Just seems like something Sprint must've overlooked, ya know???

Upvote 0
.... and then when I took my phone to the Sprint store to figure it out, I was talking to a rep who had the same phone as I did. He told me that his phone automatically resized the pic so it would send, but that it was through handcent. I proceeded to tell him that I've tried handcent and the messaging app that came with the Hero, and he just friggin ignored me and was like "Well IDK because mine automatically does it for me".... so I was like "Okay well do I have a faulty phone then or something?" and he said "No, you prob just need to restart it or something, or just hit the home key and try again."

Obviously he had no idea what the hell he was talking about, and I got absolutely no help at all, and his suggestions didn't work, like I figured.

Upvote 0
hi, so far I love my sprint hero, but am on the fence about sprint itself. tons of people have told me how they hated sprints service, customer service, etc...
my wife and I thought the ability to send pics via messaging is a cool feature however it doesn't appear to work all that well...
have tried the built in and also handcent messaging... am connected currently via my wifi at home and that doesn't help either. i realize there are probably size restrictions ( size anyone) but it should work sometimes. also the voice record feature on handsentend feature doesn't work either... any tips or tricks would be appreciated...:eek:

I have found that you need to disable your Wi-Fi to send picture messages. It doesn't always work when connected to a Wi-Fi network. FYI

Upvote 0
I'm also having trouble sending pictures. The message I get is that it's saying the file is too large to send. I'm a little confused because especially with the technology we have nowadays, and the fact that this is a smart phone, don't you think if it can take a picture on the phone, that it will send the picture??? Or at least automatically resize it to a sending size??? I text pictures back and forth all the time to friends, but every time I want to send a picture, I have to go and open PicSay and load the pic in there and send it. That's kind of a hassle for a brand new phone with "loads" of technology. Just seems like something Sprint must've overlooked, ya know???

If you're taking pic's with the the very nice 5 mega pixel camera built in the Hero... then you probably need to lower the resolution in the camera. This will result in a smaller pic file that you should be able to send via messaging. I experienced the identical issue, lowered the "quality" setting on the camera, and have not experienced anymore size limitation messages. FYI

Upvote 0
If you use Handcent, the picture automatically resize. At least they do for me. I have the picture setting on my camera set high, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you are in Handcent and hit Menu then attach. If you are in your photo album and click share, the stock messaging app takes over and usually will tell you that the file is too large to send.

Upvote 0
If you use Handcent, the picture automatically resize. At least they do for me. I have the picture setting on my camera set high, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you are in Handcent and hit Menu then attach. If you are in your photo album and click share, the stock messaging app takes over and usually will tell you that the file is too large to send.

The first time you click share from the albums, I think it should ask which program to use, and you can select Handcent.

Upvote 0
I have been with Sprint for over six months now, and I love it. I came from T-mobile, which was good too, but the Sprint's pricing is hard to beat. As for MMS, I have the Hero and I have no issues with sending pictures. My wife and I exchange MMS all the time, all without a problem. I use hancent too, it always asks me to resize the pic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones