• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps sending request to remote php connected to database (search function)

jdgower15

Lurker
Aug 10, 2011
OK...I am very new to android development. I recently built an intranet for my company and have a need/want to access the information on the intranet through an android application. Mainly, this is a list of clients. I have used another program I found on the internet and modified it to get my list and I can do so using code like this:

Code:
JSONObject json = JSONfunctions.getJSONfromURL("http://www.websitehere.com/json.php?keyword=patel");

This successfully gets a list of clients via a mysql lookup and echo's that list as JSON...this all works fine, the problem I am having is defining that 'patel'...

I would like to add a text box where one would enter 'john' or 'patel' or whatever, click a button and the application searches and returns the results. Please keep in mind I am very new to all of this and I apologize. At this point I'm not even sure how to make my application wait until a button is clicked to run.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. I am very frustrated and would even send my current application (eclipse export) to someone to look at if you're willing.

OK...got it, somehow...

Basically, I changed the public void onCreate to public void whatever()...then i made a new onCreate which called the search box/button, once the button is clicked it calls to whatever() function to perform the search...whatever() in the below is actually startService()....

Code:
public class test extends ListActivity {
    /** Called when the activity is first created. */
	private EditText input;
    @Override
    public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.listplaceholder);

Button start = (Button)findViewById(R.id.startButton);

start.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() {
        	public void onClick(View v){
        		startService();
        	}
        });

}

public void startService(){
        ArrayList<HashMap<String, String>> mylist = new ArrayList<HashMap<String, String>>();
        EditText input = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.search_edit_text);
        JSONObject json = JSONfunctions.getJSONfromURL("http://www.website.com/json.php?keyword=" + input.getText().toString() + "");

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones