1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Sending rooted phone to samsung for warranty repair

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    My tmobile galaxy s5 is 1yr and 8 days old and my speaker stopped working. Samsung says it's under their warranty still and is sending me a mailing label to send it in for warranty repair. What happens when they see that it's rooted? The software is fine, I believe they just need to replace the speaker. The phone was actually dropped in the toilet a couple months ago (still suffering ptsd from that haha). However, it shows no signs of water damage, as the two moisture stickers are still white, but I assume the speaker was damaged from that.

Would you still send it in, or replace the speaker yourself? I've seen a teardown video and it is doable. I'm fairly handy person and have the tools.

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    T-Mobile firmware is available so you could flash it back to stock before you send it in. If the Knox counter has been tripped, they will know and there is no way to reset it. All depends on if they try to blame hardware failure on modified firmware.

Changing it yourself is a option. Part shouldn't be expensive and probably quicker than sending it off.

3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    svim likes this.