• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sending SMS problem after 2.1 update

Yet another problem. :(

After I updated to Android 2.1., I can't seem to send any more messages over 160 characters in length. If I try a message over 160 characters long, when I send, I get the message "Could not send" and I must delete characters until it is under 160 characters. It doesn't work with the stock messaging app or handcent. I'm going from Vodafone UK to Vodafone UK so it should work. Any ideas?

Cheers

I am on T-Mobile UK and can't say I have experienced this. I am a big texter both in volume and content! I use handcent and have just had looked at the settings there and I have the Send as Split Threads un-ticked, I don't have them sent as MMS if they are over a certain length as my package charges me for pic messages but not normal text and the Split 160 thing set to don't split. I couldn't see any settings at all in the stock app or via the settings menu for message length.

Vodafone did suspend the upgrade due to SMS problems so I think it might be worth a call to them to see what the situation is and if they have any ideas to solve it.

Upvote 0
Glad to see someone else with this issue, I am using Virgin's network in Australia and yeah, exactly the same problem. It did only happen after the upgrade, as I send so many messages that are greater than 160 char.
The only way I have found around it, is to write the message, send - then long hold on the message after it says Could not Send - and press Resend Message (about 50 times). It seems if you leave it for a minute or so, then try the above step once - it works straight away.
But other than this, I know of no fixes. Sorry.
Alex

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones