• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sending videos

fingerlaker

Jul 1, 2011
I have taken plenty of videos with Android phones and the quality really is spetacular for a phone. However for the first time since owning smart phones I have tried to send them to other phones and it doesnt seem to work.
Attempting to share with Handcent it says "sorry, cannot add this video to your message"

Attempting to share with the stock text messaging app it says "video size exceeds limitation...would you like to resize the video to meet the limitation?" After resizing the video I proceed to send it....only problem is the video turns to garbage, very pixellated and grainy.

I wondered if the recieving phone was the problem but that doesnt seem to be the case...I have tried sending to the LG ally, Droid 2 and DroidX as well as a standard non-smartphone (LG ENV3). I know the other smartphones are capable of viewing great videos as they shoot great flix, but they cant recieve a flix from me without it being grainy and pixellated.

Does anyone know how I can take a video and send it to another smartphone in the same quality that it appears on my phone (droid3)?

I think it's the over-all video (MB) size. Try shooting a 2-4 second video and sending it- I bet it goes without a hitch. Was that way on my Droid 1 as well.

Having the same issue and tried that with Handscent. Wouldn't accept video. Tried sending the 2 second video via the stock text program. Also got the "exceeds" message.

Certainly not a solution, but it seems that when attempting use the stock txt program and it asks if you want to resize, it resizes it down to 30K. When converting a 3 second QCIF video from 4.64meg to QVGA, it shrunk to 30K. Likewise, a 27.4meg QCIF shrunk down to a 30K QVGA. (Not that I would WANT to send a video that size) The phone choked on resizing the large video but did it on the second attempt.

Upvote 0
honesty, your best bet for sending video would be through email. There has just always been a limit on the size.

If you're sending to a smartphone, email is definitely the best option anyway.
Or to upload to YouTube as a private video and then sending that link to your contacts.

Does anyone know what's the largest file that can be sent via MMS? I've successfully sent ~400 KB ringtones via MMS text message, so I assume videos that size shouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0
Here's an idea- change the extension in file manager, and send it as a txt or something else- make sure and tell your friend on the other end what to change the extension back to. See if that works out...I'll bet that somehow you just can't send through MMS. I agree that email or uploading to youtube is the better solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones