• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Senior Plan?

cronin1024

Lurker
Mar 11, 2010
I've been an iPhone user on AT&T for about a year and I'm planning to switch to Android. A few months into my contract I noticed that I had an option on AT&T's site to downgrade to their $30/month 'senior' plan, and since I hardly use any minutes I decided to save myself $10/month.

A bit of Googling reveals that Verizon has a similar plan (same cost/minutes). What I'm wondering is how easy it is to obtain for those that don't technically qualify. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Upvote 0
I would bet no smartphones will be allowed with that plan, since Verizon requires many of the phones to also carry a data plan.. but you never know until you ask. :)

I don't mind paying for the data, I'm just trying to get the $40/month voice charge down to $30/month if possible. $10/month adds up fast. You're right, though, assuming no one here has any experience with this, I need to ask Verizon directly.

Upvote 0
I don't mind paying for the data, I'm just trying to get the $40/month voice charge down to $30/month if possible. $10/month adds up fast. You're right, though, assuming no one here has any experience with this, I need to ask Verizon directly.

I thought the cheapest voice plan was $30 a month... I guess when my family has had enough of me, I am going to have to keep an eye on this. -_-

UPDATE: I noticed that they don't have a smaller plan than 450 minutes anymore. (I used to have the smaller packages but updated to 450 because I added 3 lines to my phone.) The senior plan is small and only about $30. Since data is an extra service, they should be willing to sell you a smart phone with the data. The reps over the phone have been great to me. If they put smartphones on pay as you go, I'd look into that as long as they aren't completely ridiculous. I noticed that pay as you go is not nearly the rip off it was when I last looked into it. My neice got the EnV3 on pay as you go. I was shocked.

Upvote 0
For the senior plan, you do have to do some age verification, but if you get creative, it should not be an issue.

Also, you definitely can add a data plan to a senior plan. Its a feature. Its not an issue.

And YES, I DO work for Verizon Wireless. Not at the store or in customer care per say. I work in the marketing dept for promotions, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones