1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Sensation XE (stock) Task killer/running

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrMister, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MrMister

MrMister Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Hi

I've just got a Sensation XE, my first Android phone. I've found the task killer, and been told to routinely kill all tasks to help battery life - is this correct?

Also I've just been using the stock HTC task killer, but someone said, use a Market app as HTC's Task killer doesn't kill all apps in background - is this right? and if so, what is HTC hiding in its task killer. Are they not essential then?

Also do you have to do this often, kill tasks. I'm coming from iOS, and they paused stuff in the background and not use battery life

cheers

Advertisement

2. Cornflake

Cornflake Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Executive summary: leave the OS to look after itself and things will work out just fine. You do not have to run around killing things.
    It breaks down to this (quoted from the thread mentioned below):
    This is in essence what's stated here on the Android Developers site: Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

This goes into some detail (largely because of a particular poster :rolleyes:): http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/200760-how-stop-autloading-apps.html

3. MrMister

MrMister Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Ok thanks for that, I'm new to Android. It's just someone in another forum
    Had said get a different task killer and shows up mOre thing that use up battery power.

With my XE having an in built task killer, and easily available, I seem to think its there to be used, at least for the apps that it displays, eg music app, people app, games etc.

I suppose the in built one is doing its job then and only showing me what's ok to "kill" is this correct? and so I'm ok to keep going like this?

Cheers

4. Cornflake

Cornflake Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Well, that's the thing: much of what gets listed isn't actually active, running and consuming power: they're "parked", waiting to be kicked into life by something else. Others might be active only in very short bursts.
    A task killer would simply show you all the tasks you're able to control, including some system-related ones. They're shown because they're tasks, not because it's Ok to kill them - it might not be Ok!

As per that list I posted, the real battery killers are the obvious ones: activities, and they tend to be rather obvious because an icon gets poked to start them! :D
    But of course these things also have a means of exiting them - at which point they're killed anyway.

I'd regard the task killer as a last resort "big hammer", only used where for whatever reason (buggy, normal exit failed for some reason) something needs to be killed by hand. Apart from that, it's also quite easy to cause things to crash unless you're absolutely sure about what it is and why you're killing it. "Freeing up memory" does not count! :D That isn't how things work under Linux.
    Also a task killer just provides a form of manual control over what the OS is doing anyway: it manages the tasks; not the task killer. That's just a pretty window into the OS internals.

Otherwise it's simply not required, and there's really no reason at all to get a different one.