• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sense 3.0 update ?

mike2777

Sep 3, 2011
Hi again all, sorry if this has been covered, but need to ask advice. I have the Desire S, and had the dreadded 'signal drop' problem(1.47), which as with every1 else basically rendered my phone a very expensive paper weight. However after some great help from a member on here, I was guided through rolling back the software version to 1.31 and solving all my problems. Im not at all up on all the jargon but from what I understand my phone is now 'rooted' or non standard. So im not going to be able to update the software to the new 3.0 version that is now available (think thats the right 1).
So my question is, Is this a fix for the problems with the 1.47 software, has anyone had issues with this new update ? As I could, if I wanted, have a replacement handset from orange (long story) so was wondering if it was worth getting it, I suppose it would be on the 1.47 software, then just do the update and hey presto, factory phone, with all working features !!!
Any advice welcome as to weather you guys think I should stick with what I have, or go for the new handset and get the latest software. Sorry if this sounds confusing, hope you guys can help. Cheers, Mike.

Getting a new Desire S with a ROM that you can OTA update, or that's shipped with the latest version, would be the easiest way to do things. However, if your Orange ROM is rooted and/or with S-OFF, then there's a chance Orange might take exception as it invalidates the warranty.

If you're not prepared to risk that, then the alternative is to get your phone back to an unrooted/S-ON state, then get the OTA update. If you want help with that, please confirm the software version on your phone and the first 2 lines on the HBoot screen.

Upvote 0
Hi there Notepad, the phone is S-OFF, and I see what your saying about the warranty, the good thing about the new phone is that it is a doorstep swap, so give a courier my old 1, take the new one, and off he goes. So could always plead ignorance if anything came up. Even so, I would argue the case of the software issue rendering the phone useless, and not fit for purpose, hence messing with the phone was the only option facing many customers.

Do you know much about the new version I mentioned, is there much difference ? I updated my mums yesterday (wildfire s, OTA update) and noticed the home screen changed to the ring slider to unlock the phone. Apart from this, is there any advantage to the newer version, also are any people reporting issues similar to the last update, because I sure as hell wouldn't want to go through all that again,,,, regards, Mike.

Upvote 0
I've not heard of any issues with the latest Orange ROM update. Reports are very positive with no text or call issues like those you reported with 1.47*. The radio version (the firmware responsible for all your phones connectivity - phone, wifi and bluetooth) is held to be the best of all the updates. The user interface has more eye candy (a 3D effect home screen), the lock screen you saw, and some apps and widgets have been similarly updated and enhanced.

The update includes Android 2.3.5 with improvements to Gmail and future Google apps. Also the speed seems to be better, and many report a significant improvement in battery life.

Generally, not many people seem to miss the old Sense, especially when the improvements in performance are factored in.

Reactions: mike2777
Upvote 0
It can be a big job and beyond some people's technical skills. However, if you rooted your own phone, then you shouldn't really have any trouble. Not every method works, so be prepared to try a few.

See section 2 of FoX777's Guide. The first thing you need to do is change the Hboot version, as yours (the AlphaRev HBoot) won't allow you to S-ON/return to original state.

Upvote 0
Ok, so started to follow fox's guide, and stumbling at the first hurdle. I have retrieved the Android version, Software No and bandbase version, but lost as to how to get this thing ,,,

-Your CID (cidnum) (Boot into fastboot (on the phone) and run command "fastboot getvar cid" (on the computer) ???

Ive plugged the phone into the comp, and gone to ''start'' ''run'' and then typed in the command but its comming back saying it cannot find any matches ? Like I say, im no expert, but am willing to get stuck in lol. Regards, Mike.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones