1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sense Hero 2.1 ROM for ROOT Fully Working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by themonkster, Apr 18, 2010.

1. snox187

snox187 Well-Known Member

AH I wish I had a simple guide on how to get on my hero , lol trouble Is don't no where I start , seems the stickman got something I want , all talk of radio and SD card business have left me confused and wanting the Rom on my phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I'm not sure you can, I'm using the latest recovery image and see no option. Besides, we have no hardware keyboard so I doubt we could do it anyway.

When I got errors telling me to use the console I had to use ADB from my computer. Which is basically where you use windows command prompt as a console for the phone.

Either you reformat the SD card, which is quick and painless if you only get this error once, or set up ADB if it keeps coming back. Here's how to setup ADB if you can be bothered.

And a quick google says the commands are:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    rm -r /system/sd/*

then flash and reboot :)

3. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

As I understand it the steps are thus:

1 you need root access to be able to install a custom rom

2 this is easy if your not running a build that has blocked the use of the instantroot.apk

3 if you cant use instantroot.apk you need to dowgrade your rom to an old build that has not blocked instantroot

4 you need to create a gold card using an SD card which allows you to downgrade your rom, this is not straight forward

5 once you have rot access you can create a backup of your exsisting rom

6 you can then flash a custom rom

7 Im a bit grey on this, i think the partioning thing is more to use app2sd I have not studied this bit yet, as my rom needs downgrading and I cba to make a gold card right now, maybe in May when 2.1 does not arrive

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yes and no. Unless Orange ROMs (that's you, right?) are different, you don't need root access per se. What you need is the ability to switch out your phone's recovery menu for the (amon ra) recovery image. This is done using a program called flashrec, which is also blocked by patched firmware, hence all the downgrading.

The recovery menu is what gives you all the flashing/backup/wiping/partitioning tools you need to use custom roms.

And yeah, unless you want apps2sd, ignore paritioning.

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Yes I'm on the latest Orange ROM, so I need a gold card to downgrade my Rom, and then use flashrec or instantroot ?

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

7. please help me to change the theme in this rom! i like this rom but the black theme, i don`t like. i prefer the original theme.

8. phillevy

phillevy Android Enthusiast

In the htcdevscene forum someone mentioned that they re-flashed the radio - I already have the latest version so is this neccessary?

9. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer

I'd also like to know if it's really necessary to upgrade the radio as this is the one thing that can really brick your phone if it get's interrupted.

10. phillevy

In my case I wouldn't even be upgrading as I already have the latest one. Flashing the radio is never normally a problem though - it only takes a few seconds so is unlikely to be interrupted.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I've had to flash the radio twice before. If you do decide to do it, don't pull the battery out for any reason. The phone behaves a little differently for radio flashes. If I remember right, you have to restart the phone and that's when the flash takes place, and it shows an arrow coming out of a box. But yeah, pulling the battery during the radio flash = brick.

12. phillevy

Can you see any reason to re-flash the same radio?

13. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

I would have re-flashed the radio more than 100 times in the last four months... particularly 9.26, the latest one.
    Reasons for me:

• Each time after experiencing any 2.1 custom ROM (then face several issues), I need to comeback to 1.5. Need to re-flash radio here because GPS will not work in 1.5 if we comeback from any custom 2.1.
    • In 2.1 custom ROM itself we need to re-flash radio because it was believed to fix GPS and phone sleeping issues.
    • It was believed if we go back to some old radio would fix sleeping issues in 2.1 custom ROM; and come back to the latest.
    [FONT=&quot]etc...[/FONT]

14. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah I reflashed because of the GPS issue, I wouldn't bother to reflash unless anything is actually wrong.

15. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

So one of the big problems with this ROM is the keyboard lag, which makes it impossible to type for long messages. But there is a cure, so long as you don't care about the keyboard skin.

The keyboard it comes with is a skinned version of this keyboard from XDA. I installed the lowres version from that post and it's waaaay faster. You loose the new skin but that doesn't bother me.

16. enfurno

enfurno Lurker

I am currently running Danger's 2.1 rom. Does anyone have a comparison between the two?

I have seen some lag issues with the keyboard on this one, I do not have that with the danger rom that I am running. Hell I may flash it just for the heck of it and see if it is any different.

17. phillevy

This isn't an issue for me as I'm using Swype beta as my keyboard.

18. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

I loved Swype as a concept,but it caused no end of issues with my phone.

19. phillevy

Surprisingly it works perfectly with this ROM - I had to re-download it though as my backup (using Titanium) wouldn't work.

20. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah I love Swype, and I am in the beta. It's just I read somewhere on Swype.com that there's a limit to the no. of installs you can make (No idea how many though).

I was planning to install it on the official 2.1 when that came out this month. But it looks like that's not going to happen now...

21. joeclass007

joeclass007 Lurker

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that someone here can help. I am having issues upgrading my ROM.
    Here is what I have done.

I successfully rooted my phone using the instructions found on xda-developers website
    I mounted my hero and copied SenseHERO-2.1_signed-update.zip to the phone
    I restarted the phone
    Clicked on Wipe and wiped out the following:
    data/factory reset
    Dalvik-cache
    SD:ext partition
    clicked on flash zip from sdcard
    selected the above zip file

Then I run into the following error:
    installing update...
    E:Failure at line 4:
    assert getprop ("ro.product.device") == "hero"

Installation aborted.

I am not sure what radio buttons are and if i need to update that.

Please help?

Thank you

22. jev

jev Well-Known Member

It seems all the 2.1 ROMs use a lot more power. Can anyone that's using this Sense HERO ROM tell me if this ROM suffers from the same issue? I would hate a phone that needs recharging twice a day...

23. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

It's not very good. Better than other 2.1 roms, but still not very good.

jev likes this.
  24. PaulWilks

PaulWilks Newbie

I'm on Villian 5.2 at the mo- is it worth switching to this one? Only probs I have with 5.2 is that the camera crashes the phone occasionally. Is this more stable? Any other benefits?

Love the big icons!

25. PaulWilks

PaulWilks Newbie

Sod it, just flashing it now.... flashing Roms has all the excitement of loading a new and highly anticipated Playstation game for the first time :)

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews