• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sense UI and Facebook contacts?

AkoCham

Apr 16, 2010
Back when my friend first got her Droid, she showed me that she synched her Facebook account to her phone and all of her contacts were from Facebook. Does this still work the same way for HTC's Sense UI?

I know that you can synch your Facebook account to the Incredible but does it actually make all of your contacts your Facebook friends? This is a feature I would like alot because all of my friends that I am close with are my FB friends and I really like having all of my contacts have pictures and their full names.

I kind of have the opposite question. I would like to use the Facebook app to see status updates and pics and stuff but I do NOT want all of my facebook friends to be added to my contacts. Is this automatic once I enter my facebook account data, or can i turn this off?
+1

I'd hate no not be able to use the Facebook app. I don't want it messing with my contacts.

Upvote 0
So it looks like if we DO NOT want Facebook contacts to sync use Facebook for Android, and IF WE DO want Facebook contacts to sync use Facebook for HTC Sense? Is that correct?

Pretty much. If you configure your phone to sync with FB, it will add those contacts.

You can use the stand alone FB app just to access it.

You can manually sync certain contacts to FB to get their status updates, profile pics, etc.

Reactions: jprow507
Upvote 0
I haven't had an Android phone before.... If I let the phone sync ALL my facebook friends (I assume so they can be part of the new friend stream) by using Facebook for HTC Sense, will they then go into my GMAIL contacts as well?

If so, can I then just go online and create a group called Facebook for people who are friends but I don't typically call or message, re-sync to the Incredible and then not worry about my contacts being crowded with a lot of people.... i.e. would the Incredible recognize the Groups in sort of "folders" so I can ignore the Facebook group on the phone and only view contacts from my normal groups, i.e. friends, family... ?

Upvote 0
I haven't had an Android phone before.... If I let the phone sync ALL my facebook friends (I assume so they can be part of the new friend stream) by using Facebook for HTC Sense, will they then go into my GMAIL contacts as well?

If so, can I then just go online and create a group called Facebook for people who are friends but I don't typically call or message, re-sync to the Incredible and then not worry about my contacts being crowded with a lot of people.... i.e. would the Incredible recognize the Groups in sort of "folders" so I can ignore the Facebook group on the phone and only view contacts from my normal groups, i.e. friends, family... ?

That's a good idea. I think I may have to rethink the way I think about my contact list. I try to keep the numbers on my phone pared down to only those I use to make it simple to find things. With the way Android does contacts, it won't matter so much to have a bunch of extra people that I never contact in the list, since I won't be scrolling through a big list looking for people, but just typing a few letters like in a normal email on the computer. Talk about a big paradigm shift - I have to keep telling myself "I may be an old dog, but I CAN learn new tricks!"

Upvote 0

I don't think this is the case-- when my brother got his Eris, he loaded his Gmail contacts, which were JUST the old contacts he had from his old phone: he transfered them from Backup Assistant to Gmail. After he loaded those and asked the phone to sync with Facebook, the phone asked him to "pair" the contacts from gmail to the ones from FB. I.e. "Do you want to link John L. Doe with the John L. Doe we found on FB in your friend list" And you can choose all, or select a few, or none. I believe you could also link people that the phone didn't automatically connect.

Your question was if the phone can sync your Facebook Phonebook with your phone's....and well I don't know.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is the case-- when my brother got his Eris, he loaded his Gmail contacts, which were JUST the old contacts he had from his old phone: he transfered them from Backup Assistant to Gmail. After he loaded those and asked the phone to sync with Facebook, the phone asked him to "pair" the contacts from gmail to the ones from FB. I.e. "Do you want to link John L. Doe with the John L. Doe we found on FB in your friend list" And you can choose all, or select a few, or none. I believe you could also link people that the phone didn't automatically connect.

Your question was if the phone can sync your Facebook Phonebook with your phone's....and well I don't know.

Yes, your contacts will auto sync with FB ONLY if they match their FB name EXACTLY. There was a thread over on the Eris forums that discussed this.

What I did was setup FB account in the phone then manually synced the contacts I wanted (since none of the contact names matched). That way you get their profile pic and status updates in your contacts.

Upvote 0
Yes, your contacts will auto sync with FB ONLY if they match their FB name EXACTLY. There was a thread over on the Eris forums that discussed this.

What I did was setup FB account in the phone then manually synced the contacts I wanted (since none of the contact names matched). That way you get their profile pic and status updates in your contacts.

Let me see if I understand you correctly: you're saying that no new contacts will be added to the phone's contact list from FB (unless you elect to do so manually), just that contacts that match exactly will be updated. That is perfect.

Hopefully you can replace the FB profile pic in your contacts. Some of my friends use really stupid ones.

Upvote 0
Let me see if I understand you correctly: you're saying that no new contacts will be added to the phone's contact list from FB (unless you elect to do so manually), just that contacts that match exactly will be updated. That is perfect.

This is true in 1.5 however I am having an issue with 2.1 on the hero. It will sync with contact / people correctly however the dialer contains all my facebook contacts which is kinda annoying. I don't know if this issue will be resolved in the official release but since its only 2 days off I feel like this may be a 2.1. issue.

Upvote 0
I'm on the official release 2.1 on the Hero and this is driving me batty. I like seeing my FB contacts in my "people" list, but there are people from middle school in my dialer now, and no way to get them out unless I un-sync Facebook for HTC Sense entirely. I can always use SyncMyPix but 3rd party apps are an inelegant solution for selectable options that should be in there by default.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones