• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sense UI...do you want it???

If you could have Sense UI, bug-free and easy to install, would you use instead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm on the fence, despite being on a Desire ROM and liking it quite a lot. Basically, I hate the ^ Phone + tab at the bottom, which is a giant waste of screen real estate. home++ dock does it way, way better and even hides the notification bar. On the other hand, HTC's widgets and apps are a huge improvement over stock Android: the calendar widget, the music widget, the search widget, and of course the camera app.

So, yeah. Tough decision.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if you would be able to replace Sense UI with Home++ or even Tat when it comes out?

The issue is this:

If sense UI cannot be customized beyond the limitations of the ROM, then stock android 2.1 is obviously the best, regardless of which works better.

Having the option is always better than not.

I could be wrong about this.

Upvote 0
Sense UI is, essentially, a home replacement. If you've got it, try clearing defaults through "Manage programs/applications"--a ROM that has Sense on it can, in fact, let you run stock Android complete with 3D app drawer and all.

So yep, you can install whatever home replacements you enjoy on a Sense UI ROM and use them instead.

Upvote 0
I mean I like sense a lot but I was having issues with the text messaging time stamping. Also I didn't like friend stream, which mixes your twitter and fb feed togeyther. So I'm baking a custom rom with the 2.1 texting and no friend stream.

Well, Paul's online kitchen does allow you to do that already (stock messaging app, ditching friend stream). But regardless, people without access to his kitchen can still push the stock messaging app and remove friend stream through adb.

Upvote 0
I have only tried sense on my mytouch, not on the nexus one, but i can tell you this i really dont see the hype. It has a few nice widgets and the way info from different contacts was synced together was kinda nice not to mention exchange support, but a lot of that has been fixed with 2.1. What i did like or rather do like about sense is that the option was always there to turn it off and run stock android, this is something other phone manufactures should mimic in their own custom UI's. It gives the customer more options and im always for more options.

Upvote 0
The more videos I see of the N1, the more I think it's the device for me. To those that have experience with both the Sense UI and the stock 2.1, am I off base to think that Sense sometimes is more "window-dressing" so to speak, and adds an extra step in getting to apps? Or, does it add a practical element?

I am coming from a Storm (on VZW), so anything will definitely be an upgrade. My decision basically is between the stock 2.1 and the N1 or the rumored Incredible with Sense.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Upvote 0
The more videos I see of the N1, the more I think it's the device for me. To those that have experience with both the Sense UI and the stock 2.1, am I off base to think that Sense sometimes is more "window-dressing" so to speak, and adds an extra step in getting to apps? Or, does it add a practical element?

Some of it is practical. Some of it is clunky. The pinch-zoom that lets you view all seven homescreens at once is definitely a nice touch.

I am coming from a Storm (on VZW), so anything will definitely be an upgrade. My decision basically is between the stock 2.1 and the N1 or the rumored Incredible with Sense.

Why choose? Get an N1, root it, and you can have Sense. Or not, as you will. Although technically you can disable Sense on a stock HTC phone too, but there's no guarantee the Incredible (isn't it just the Desire anyway?) will be rootable, which is a huge point against it.

Reactions: greggds
Upvote 0
i like the Sense UI features, particularly the native Exchange integration with email, calendar and contacts. no need to install email, calendar, contacts or clock widgets. i also like the ability to zoom in/out on HTML emails, something you can't do with the stock GMail and Email apps (or, something i never figured out how to do). another email feature i like better with Sense is the ability to quickly switch between timeline and threaded view.

what i don't like is the SMS and contacts apps; pushing the standard Android Contacts and Mms apk's and then selecting them as defaults took care of that issue. i'd like to replace the Sense dialer as well, but doing so means i give up the ability to search contacts via name or number.

bottom line for me is that Sense UI has the native, fully integrated features/functionality that's important for my daily use.

Reactions: greggds
Upvote 0
Having used Sense on my Hero for about 5 months before using the Nexus (which is now rooted anyway for additional functionality....and the pretty trackball colours of course!), I prefer the clean look of 2.1 to Sense.

Sense has a few nice features like the widgets but I found myself removing them and using the standard buttons for things like messaging, etc.

I may try Sense again when it becomes more of a stable / complete ROM but suspect I will switch back again (especially if Cyanogen gets Flash to work on a future interation of his ROM).

Upvote 0
I may try Sense again when it becomes more of a stable / complete ROM but suspect I will switch back again (especially if Cyanogen gets Flash to work on a future interation of his ROM).

Cyanogen has stated before that Flash in Sense UI is too tightly integrated into other Sense components to duplicate. This was back with the Hero/Sense, but I doubt much has changed in that regard, so don't hold your breath for Cyanogen to release this functionality. Instead, hold your breath for Adobe to finally getting around to releasing 10.1 *sometime* this year.

RellikZephyr said:
i think i will play with the Desire ROM

but i doubt i will keep it

I just installed it yesterday to finally see what all the fuss was about. It's definitely pretty, and I can see why some people would find it more useful. But I'm in the process of ditching it as I type this to go back to Cyanogen.

WayneS said:
I choose option 3.

I would like it to be available on the Nexus One. This way I can play around with it and/or switch back and forth from stock to Sense. I like Android 2.1 a lot. But I also like some of the features in Sense, but I have never experienced it first hand.

As mentioned several times in this thread, you already have this option with a rooted phone. Download the Desire ROM and give it a try!

Upvote 0
Having used Sense on my Hero for about 5 months before using the Nexus (which is now rooted anyway for additional functionality....and the pretty trackball colours of course!), I prefer the clean look of 2.1 to Sense.

Sense has a few nice features like the widgets but I found myself removing them and using the standard buttons for things like messaging, etc.

Agree, dont care that much about sence, like keeping my screen clean..but do care a lot about Flash :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones